cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One X converting SMS to multi-media messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just changed my phone to an HTC One X and getting used to it.  I have never sent a multi-media message on there yet a few days ago I replied to a text from a friend who has a Galaxy Note and in my text (which was a short one) I used a smiley face.  I checked my bill the other day and I have been charged 0.29p for this text !!!  My HTC seems to have recognised it wrongly as an Multimedia message.  I checked my friends phone and it appears as a 'picture' message yet she was unable to open it.

I contacted o2 and they are looking into it.  in the meantime, I wonder  if this

happened to anyone else?  I am now wary of using emoticon characters.  Any advice would be very helpful.

Update:  I guess I will have to wait and see what o2 have to say.  If in the meantime there is anyone out there who has an HTC One X mobile, I would be interested to hear if they have encountered any problems with SMS texts converting to MMS when inserting a smiley, even if the text is a short one.

Many thanks

Rozzie

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If you send an emoticon from an app that provides pictures it has to be sent as an MMS. If you use normal keyboard letters : ) which appears as slight_smile it is just sent as part of your character count and a normal SMS.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your message.  I have been using SMS and sending the pictures from the SMS app (Menu insert smiley) for over 2 weeks and haven't been charged.  When I insert the smiley it shows on my screen as 🙂  then when it is sent turns into a face.  i was only charged on the one occasion when i replied to my friend who has a Galaxy Note. 

Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The only time it would convert to an MMS is if you went over the standard limit of 160 characters.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was only a tiny text about 3 words and a smiley.  Obviously something is not right then

Thanks

Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes agreed, that's not right. I would get them to justify it to you.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

I telephoned 02 today as they had not got back in touch with me.  I spoke to a different advisor and he seemed a bit perplexed and said he has not come across a problem like this with any other android phone.  He said there is no way that I should be charged for a multi-media message when I send a smiley within a text message and  suggested that I send a text to myself and monitor the situation  and they will also monitor it.  I was assured the 0.29 which was wrongly charged will be refunded.  I will not be sending any multi-media messages so if I get charged again will know for sure that something is definately not right.

So really I am no further forward

Rozzie

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You are .29p better off tho wink
Keep texts under 160 characters and you should be fine....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 29p is not the issues here.  My text was three words! It was a text message with a smilie and 02 charged me for a multi-media message.  In my book that should not happen and is probably happening to lots of people but it's so subtle that they don't even notice. That is why I posted on here, it's not about 29p.

Thanks

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be of use to fellow HTC mobile users.  Regarding my problem, where my HTC One X converts any smileys I use in a text message to a 'multi-media message' hence I am then charged 29p.  Apparently this is a problem with HTC.  An o2 advisor informed me of this today and suggested next time I upgrade to maybe consider a Samsung or Iphone (where this problem does not occur) and recommended that I read the whole instruction booklet in future before I choose a new phone.

This information is a bit late now as I have nearly two years of my contract left hence no more smileys in my text messages from now on:-(

R

Message 10 of 19