cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friends & Family discount

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have seen the comments by O2 in the community page and it mentions that the f&f discount applies to sim only contracts, as well, so long as the contract is made directly with O2.

I have been with O2 since 2005 (long time!) and I have had f&f discount for a number of years until I decided to go from a full contract to a sim only to allow me to upgrade anytime (with O2) for a new iphone.

I was told, however, that once I swap my full contract for a sim only I will be losing my f&f discount.

This contradicts the information that has been provided in the community that the discount applies to sim only contracts.

I am in the process of finding a new contract and moving to other providers is very tempting as they are making v competitive offers. So, some clarification on the f&f discount and whether it could be added on my account again would benefit my decision making.

Thank you,

Petrulina

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122839 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Our guide states it can be applied to sim only accounts https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-H...

The F&F discount can also be applied to simo contracts and PAYG accounts but at all times the contracts must be taken directly with O2 (no 3rd party resellers) and notable exclusions always apply to new iPhone launches (check T&C's for full details)

If there are changes to this then we need to be informed....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The confusion might be because you have to re-apply for the discount if changing contracts, ie, it won't automatically transfer across.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is rather interesting.

I was not told this at the time! Basically, I was personally contacted by O2 to take up an offer to reduce the cost and go sim only seeing that I had the same contract for a while and same phone (I have patiently been waiting for the new iphone to come out).

Therefore, assuming you are both correct it seems that I was misinformed. Firstly, because I was told the 30% discount could not transfer over and secondly they did not mention I would need to reapply. All they highlighted was that due to the price being lower (£30/m) than my initial contract (£45/m), they could not apply the discount.

I am a bit disappointed. I hope someone from O2 gets in touch with me and resolves this matter. I am seriously thinking of leaving... which is a shame as I have been a loyal customer for almost 12 years!

Message 4 of 13

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous welcome to our forum! Sorry to hear that you've had a disappointing experience. 😞 I've dropped you a quick Private Message just now to get a few details to check if there's anything we can do to help you out! Please check when you get a moment.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have exactly the same situation, I am a long term o2 customer and have just been told over the phone I can not use friends and family if I sign up to a SIM only deal. I'm also now planning to look elsewhere for a better option.

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
@Marjo did you get any clarification on this yet please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @MI5 and good morning @Anonymous! I've requested some clarification on the Friends & Family discount and waiting for information, will post back in this topic asap when I get it.

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
We will need to update the guide if anything has changed too.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Ok so the Friends & Family discount can be used on a SIM Only contract if it’s not been discounted or on a special promotion.

Didn't hear back from @Anonymous yet, it would be great to hear how you're getting on with it? @Anonymous I'll drop you a quick PM to get some additional details on your tariff to help double check for you. slight_smile

Message 10 of 13