Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can spam%20calls%20be%20traced

Colr6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting 4/5 spam calls a day some threatening, can these be traced to stop these people ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Colr6 

O2 advice here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Colr6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi thanks for the reply, already registered with the TPS, just counted my blocked number list and it amounts to 166 !!! The calls range from my internet router has a problem to the bailiffs are in my area and will be with me within 1/2 hour. Surely with modern tech these calls can be traced to source and stopped with hopefully someone prosecuted.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Colr6 

They spoof phone numbers so can't be traced https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Colr6 Numbers can be traced, but it's costly and time consuming, and because of the volume of spam calls, and so many spoofed numbers, the networks are probably not going to do it. Here's a link related to your query: How to Trace Cell Phone Numbers: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Colr6 

The trace would come back to the registered owner of the number though, not the spammer, which is why they spoof numbers so they cannot be traced.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6