Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Other Devices

O2 Social Media Team

Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Update - All the info right here!

Just a quick official update, and I've added a 'release' section to original post...

As some have already spotted, the WP 8.1 update for the 925 started pushing out late last night. I've had it confirmed that the WP 8.1 update is also now available for the 625 - Go get it folks! :-)

Hi, I'm Chris from the O2 Social Media Team

Level 3: Thinker

Could Chris or Toby clear something up please?

I'm using a 925 with O2 firmware (Splashscreen) which is not SIM locked. Its running 8.1 sourced from preview for developers (PFD), I'm not using Bitlocker.

Where do I stand on getting the Cyan update? From what I've read there's not really anything in it that'll I'll actually use much but sometimes things get a bit better optimised so obviously I'll take the upgrade when available. Microsoft have suspended PFD Cyan updates because of a Bitlocker issue. Will O2 be offering me an 8.1/Cyan update or because I'm using PFD will I not be updated that way?

I've read I can restore the 925 to WP8 using Nokia Software Recovery tool and then I'll receive the O2 8.1/Cyan update. Way too much hassle and opportunity for things to go wrong and I'd rather wait on Msoft sorting things in that case.

Mini 8.1 review - I've been using 8.1 since it was avail on PFD, those of you about to upgrade enjoy, it makes a huge difference and is a much bigger upgrade than the .1 suggests.

O2 Social Media Team

@tullyhubbert wrote:

Could Chris or Toby clear something up please?

I'm using a 925 with O2 firmware (Splashscreen) which is not SIM locked. Its running 8.1 sourced from preview for developers (PFD), I'm not using Bitlocker.

Where do I stand on getting the Cyan update? From what I've read there's not really anything in it that'll I'll actually use much but sometimes things get a bit better optimised so obviously I'll take the upgrade when available. Microsoft have suspended PFD Cyan updates because of a Bitlocker issue. Will O2 be offering me an 8.1/Cyan update or because I'm using PFD will I not be updated that way?

I've read I can restore the 925 to WP8 using Nokia Software Recovery tool and then I'll receive the O2 8.1/Cyan update. Way too much hassle and opportunity for things to go wrong and I'd rather wait on Msoft sorting things in that case.

Mini 8.1 review - I've been using 8.1 since it was avail on PFD, those of you about to upgrade enjoy, it makes a huge difference and is a much bigger upgrade than the .1 suggests.

I'm afraid only O2 devices currently running an official O2 WP 8.0 build will be able to see and download this new update. I know it's not what you're wanting to hear but we wouldn't be able to assist with downgrading your device due to potential issues that could arise from it. If it's something you truly want to do, perhaps one of our community members with knowledge of doing this may be able to assist you but I would caution you that it could be risky business.

Level 6: Acolyte

Same here using 8.1preview on my 620 I don't want to downgrade to wp 8.0 once you used 8.1 you don't really want to go back
Level 6: Acolyte

Hopefully by the time I see the update Microsoft will have issued the fix
Highlighted
O2 Social Media Team

Some of you have asked about activating/using the new VVM feature already, so here you go folks... Give it a go and let us know what you think. For the non-625/925's amongst you, hopefully the silver cloud is right around the corner

To Activate VVM on your newly updated WP 8.1 Lumia

Tap on the call icon with ‘O2 UK’ shown in the screenshot below:
1.png

Click on the three dots shown at the bottom-right hand corner of this screenshot:
2.png

Select settings from the pop-up menu and look for the VVM setting. This is likely off – slide it to on. The slider will change to grey to indicate that the feature is going through an activation process which will take up to a minute or two and will then change colour to indicate it’s activated like the screenshot below:
3.png

If you get: “Oops, something happened and we could not turn on your visual voicemail. Make sure you have a mobile signal and try again”. Please wait a further 30 seconds to see if the service activates. If the service fails to activate, and you have a good mobile signal then try again.

If you are still unable to activate the service this maybe because you are on the wrong tariff – please get in touch with our customer service team so we can check your tariff and account are compatible.

De-activating the VVM feature

Should for any reason you wish to de-activate the VVM service, simply slide the VVM slider shown in the above screenshot from ‘On’ to ‘Off’

Using the VVM feature

This bits easy! Once you’ve activated the VVM feature as shown above, simply go back to the call screen and swipe left/right until you see the voicemail section.

When a new voicemail is left, the system will automatically download this to your phone and you’ll see a new voicemail clip here. When you tap it, you’ll have options to play again, delete, call back or create a phone book entry.

Here’s a screenshot showing what it looks like once you have a voicemail and have played it for the first time:
4.png

Anonymous

Got the cyan/8.1 update this morning on my Lumia 925 and noticed quite a bit of overheating when using the apps and internet browser

[ Edited ]

@Chris_K wrote:

I'm afraid only O2 devices currently running an official O2 WP 8.0 build will be able to see and download this new update. I know it's not what you're wanting to hear but we wouldn't be able to assist with downgrading your device due to potential issues that could arise from it. If it's something you truly want to do, perhaps one of our community members with knowledge of doing this may be able to assist you but I would caution you that it could be risky business.

Thanks for the answer Chris, regarding the O2/8.1/Cyan update availabliity its pretty much what I expected but I just wanted to be sure. I'd be confident enough to run Nokia recovery but it's a lot of hassle just for a Cyan update, I'll wait until Joe B gets things sorted his end and updates me ... lol.

@captainprice wrote:
Same here using 8.1preview on my 620 I don't want to downgrade to wp 8.0 once you used 8.1 you don't really want to go back

Ain't that the truth, it really is a great upgrade from WP8.

I just passed my own 620 to a family member as I got a 925, they are both running Preview For Developers (Heh, me a developer!) really well. I expect Msoft will have the Bitlocker issue sorted fairly quickly and providing Cyan updates soon.

I kind of wonder why are O2 and other carriers not having the Cyan Bitlocker issue that PFD users are? Maybe ita all done in one build or something as opposed to 8.1 then further Cyan update.

Topics: 34
Kudos: 55
Solutions: 3

Regarding a few points here is my 2 cents:

I have restored my phone using Nokia Recovery Manager back to WP8 Firmware. However can anyone tell me the way to identify if its the O2 one?

Also I love 8.1. Restoring back to 8 has ruined things for me as it feels like such a inferiour device. However if you are looking for transparent tiles for standard apps, use Transparent Tiles. 

Smiley Happy 

OnePlus 3 (7.0)

Macbook Pro Retina
Apple TV 3rd Gen
iPad Air
PS4, PS3, PSVita (liam-ward)
Many more little gadgets and toys

Nokia Lumia 635 Review
Xperia Ultra Z Review
iPhone 6 Plus from Lumia 1520 compariview