cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change from blackberry sim to normal sim during 12 month pay monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I have a BB. I want to change to a simple phone but I am in middle of 12 month pay monthly..can I do this without penalties and if so, how do I go about it...couldn't see a way to select a new suitable sim when signed in looking at my options. If swapping to a non-blackberry sim on a diff tariff is possible I would intend paying up front for the new phone, thanks!
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hi, your current sim should work in a "normal" phone as it is. If you have access to MY O2 then it's a simple case of going into your bolt ons and changing your current BB data plan onto the data plan for smartphone standard (android, windows phone) or iPhone data.
Then on the next billing cycle your data service will change onto the new plan. There is no charge (that I'm aware of) for doing this.
You may find the sim you have won't fit into some phones, if this is the case, contact customer service and ask for a combo sim for different sizes to be sent so you can use it.
When it comes go to www.O2.Co.UK/swapmysim and follow the instructions to get your new sim active.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hi, your current sim should work in a "normal" phone as it is. If you have access to MY O2 then it's a simple case of going into your bolt ons and changing your current BB data plan onto the data plan for smartphone standard (android, windows phone) or iPhone data.
Then on the next billing cycle your data service will change onto the new plan. There is no charge (that I'm aware of) for doing this.
You may find the sim you have won't fit into some phones, if this is the case, contact customer service and ask for a combo sim for different sizes to be sent so you can use it.
When it comes go to www.O2.Co.UK/swapmysim and follow the instructions to get your new sim active.
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the forum.

O2 don't mind what phone you use as long as you continue with the monthly payments.

Their are no fees to change SIM cards / phones etc.

If your new choice of phone only accepts another sized SIM card then you have a couple of options.

Pop into an O2 high street shop and they will help remove any bolt ons you no longer use ,and they will transfer your tariff and mobile number over onto a new account specific blank SIM card.

This process takes from a few minutes up to 24 hours approx to settle ,and by turning your phone off and on throughout this period helps the reset.

Some people prefer to take a blank sim away with them ,and do the transfer at home using the link provided in the above post.

Or you can use a plastic sim adapter to make your sim the right size if applicable.

If moving phones perhaps look at performing a back up so you can move your data and info onto the new phone from your original one.

Google will give you lots of avenues to choose from to carry this out.
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing I would add to the post by BandofBrothers and was covered by viridis is that when you move away from your BlackBerry, you could have the BlackBerry Bolt-on removed from your account. 

But yep, nothing to stop you changing to a different sized SIM that will fit another phone if your existing one doesn't fit.

Message 4 of 4