cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry Z10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really liking the look of what I saw this afternoon, and the launch of the Z10 coincides nicely with my renewal date, so very much on my shopping list. However, a couple of questions:

1. I got the impression that the Z10 no longer requires the BlackBerry data bolt-on. Am I right?
  2. If this is so, it follows that the Z10 can no longer take advantage of the data compression used hitherto by BlackBerry. Although I know my historical (compressed) data usage, it would be useful to know roughly the compression ratio used, so I can have a reasonable stab at estimating and speccing my future usage. Anyone any ideas?

I know pricing and packages have yet to be released, but hopefully if I do my homework, I can be near the front of the queue!

Thank you in anticipation.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well said Sir! :). You'll find that the lack of apps doesn't really matter as the phone itself is just amazing! There are a fair few decent apps out there anyway :).

BlackBerry decided that the hardware on the BB7 (and earlier) just wasn't up to date with what was required for the BlackBerry 10 OS to run. Plus, brand new operating system needs a brand new phone! slight_smile
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've finally got my grubby little mits on the Z10!

WeyyyTicTacs was absolutely right - the lack of apps (at present) isn't a great issue, the phone and the new BB10 OS seem to be a very solid foundations for the BlackBerry renaissance.

While my overall initial impressions are positive, they are reined in a little by software that appears to be rather rushed and incomplete. The biggest frustration I had was transferring my contacts from my 9800 Torch (running BB6) to the Z10.

The 'Switch Devices' option didn't work in Blackberry Desktop Manager, as the program failed to recognise the Z10. I therefore had to download its replacement, Blackberry Link, but unfortunately this seems primarily a tool to syncronise media rather than contact and calendar data. All my contact data was either on the Torch or in Outlook 2007, and the Z10 would talk to neither!

Eventually I solved the problem by exporting my contacts from Outlook into a CSV file, and importing the CSV file into my Gmail webmail account. The Z10 was then able to import the contacts when it next polled my Gmail account, and all is now hunky dory. I guess you should be able to use any webmail account (yahoo, live mail etc) to do the same.

While I feel this is a major BlackBerry oversight which I trust will be rectified, it is not a showstopper. Indeed, the ability to combine contact entries into one record on the Z10 means that my contact list is now tidier than it has been for years.

Now I have solved this particular problem, the phone really is a delight to use, and I really hope BlackBerry are able to iron out these few wrinkles to deliver a robust and integrated platform for the future. While they are only minor niggles, they are enough to put off someone who is expecting an out of the box solution. But to me, minor niggles are acceptable in the face of major improvement!

Great stuff from O2 - easy, quick upgrade.

Message 12 of 23

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Got mine 31st Jan

I was switching from an iPhone and 9700 (the latter on PAYG TMob) but was syncing to gmail so everything just synced up sweetly. Moved away from outlook when it stopped being included with the XDAs and the old version doesn't remember passwords between reboots.

As for apps the playbook app manager extension for chrome/firefox (http://gridbook.org/pb-app-mgr/) works with BB10 just the same and over wifi.

Goodereader have quite a selection of converted Android apps for BB10 and Playbook.

O2 shop didn't have any cases but CPW next door did (but no Z10s) so got the flip case as it acts similar to the holsters in locking the screen when closed.

Have had a couple of issues where the phone has locked up or frozen for a period of time but I don't know if that is due to the sideloaded apps affecting it or not.

Haven't checked out Bridge with Playbook yet. Pressure of work etc.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

its not that much of a great deal.

£36.00 x 24= £864.00 2 yrs Most likely you will get bored of it 

Sim free price between £499.99 to £549.99

On & On deal £20.00 =£240.00

£739.99 1 yr deal 

Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right ,

I have the same thought it was an ok deal until you start to count the price over 2 years !!!!

Shame on you O2...

Message 15 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

its not that much of a great deal.

£36.00 x 24= £864.00 2 yrs Most likely you will get bored of it 

Sim free price between £499.99 to £549.99

On & On deal £20.00 =£240.00

£739.99 1 yr deal 

Not too impressed with the arithmetic, how can you compare a 1 year deal to a 2 year one?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, that £499.99-£549.99 isn't exactly ideal for everyone to pay up front.

Message 17 of 23

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm a little confused about this data thing. I bought the phone outright from O2 as I wanted to stay on the £10.50 simplicity tariff with the 500MB bolt on. Am I reading that I no longer require this data Bolt on?
Message 18 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149084 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions
No you need a data bolt on just not a specific BB data bolt on....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 19 of 23

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you
Message 20 of 23