cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry has stopped synchronising contacts with Gmail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a pay monthly SIM-only BlackBerry tariff and I've been on this tariff for many months without encountering any problems. I've been using a BlackBerry Torch 9800 during this time.

I use two email accounts (BIS) on my BlackBerry - a Hotmail and Gmail account. The mailbox I use most often is my Gmail mailbox. I have my Gmail calendar and contact list set to wirelessly synchronise with my BlackBerry contact list and calendar. This has been working perfectly from the very beginning, except this past week.

My Gmail calendar still synchronises between my BlackBerry device and Gmail account, however, my contact list has doesn't. This is a bit of a pain because if I add a contact to my BlackBerry device, it's not automatically added to my Gmail contact list and vice versa.

No settings have been changed on my device. Wireless synchronising with my Gmail is "checked". I've done a hard reset/reboot on my BlackBerry. I even resorted to deleting my Gmail mailbox from my BlackBerry and then adding it again but still no joy.

I don't understand why my calendar still synchronises between my BlackBerry device and Gmail but not my contact list?

Has anyone else experienced the same problem or knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- sc

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144646 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
If you go into your sync settings, have a look to see if you can select different Google services. On android, for example, you can select to sync Calendar, Contacts, GMail, Picassa etc. It will only sync what you have ticked or selected...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey MI5, thanks for getting back to me.

Everything is ticked in the synchronisation settings. Everything worked fine just over a week ago, and all of a sudden, I received an automated email from BlackBerry Internet Service "donotreply@blackberry.com, saying that contacts have stopped synchronising between my Gmail mailbox and BlackBerry device.

The email then gives me 5 simple steps to resolve the issue, i.e. Set Wireless Synchronisation to Yes. But it's always been set to Yes.

Anyway, I spoke to somebody in Tech Support at O2 and apparently this is a wider issue, so it's not just a fault on my device alone. So there must be many others experiencing the same issue. I'm surprised nobody else has raised this.

I'll need to call back during the day to see what's being done.

I appreciate the help.

- SC

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144646 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
Good luck and thanks for the update.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

So is there a general sync issue with gmail?

I thought it was maybe just a problem I was experiencing?

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonsie,

Yes, apparently so - that's the information I was given by somebody in Tech Support. However, I wasn't told whether or not the problem was on Google's end or with the BlackBerry (BIS) service.

I'm yet to call back to get an update on the problem. Contacts still aren't synchronising.

- SC

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jonsie - are you still experiencing the same problem?

Update on my problem:

So I spoke to somebody in Customer Service earlier. She was very polite but unfortunately couldn't help me.

She said that the problem is likely to be with the BlackBerry service, which is understandable. However, as a consumer, O2 are responsible for looking after me as it was them who sold me the BlackBerry service.

As advised, I went onto the BlackBerry UK website, which tells me to contact my "carrier" for support, which is actually O2.

So anyway - O2 ask me to contact BlackBerry and BlackBerry ask me to contact O2. Not a very good service at all.

Furthermore, the person I spoke to doesn't have any "notes" on the system, which I was told was left when I spoke to an O2 agent last week.

Time to abandon ship I think. I'm getting tired of poor customer service.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144646 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
In all honesty, is more likely a Google issue. They have been moving some things around this week to make "room" for their new cloud services. You may find you will have to delete your account and start again if you are having issues.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

That's exactly what I did, deleted the account and then set it up again after a reboot. It has been syncing fine since.

Message 9 of 9