Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Advice please)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I have recently acquired a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. It's great.

I am away in Yarmouth for the first weekend of Formula One! The site has Wifi but it's limited.

I can watch F1 via Sky streaming on the Pro  but I have a few queries....(Deep breath)

* I don't think this Pro has a sim slot so I presume I will be able to use a dongle with a 4G sim?

OR....I could do something I have never tried in my life......

* Tethering from my mobile phone....Fear

I need advice on what would be the best to do?.

(Please be aware that any advice I'm given (about tethering)  needs to be very very specific and guaranteed to work. Probably something I could try before I leave for the weekend? (24th March)

Thanks all...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Your surface should have a standard usb port so you can insert the dongle in that and then just add a sim card with data into it.
The dongles have the software installation files built in so you just need to install it into surface

Ok....well when I used it on my PC I bought the dongle with the sim in...so do I need the sim before I start this installation or what??. I need this Surface Pro up and working before the 24th March Lol

Edited to add. Just read the last line of this post. Thanks. (note to self.. read properly) slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 15

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
You can plug the dongle in now and it will install but obviously won't have internet until you get a sim for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You can plug the dongle in now and it will install but obviously won't have internet until you get a sim for it.

Crikey who knew that? (I obviously did about the no sim/ no internet malarkey) but had no idea about installing the dongle before I got the sim. Now this will help me.... as I can do things in stages. Bouncy

What a shame I didn't have to learn about tethering....run gif.gif

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Tethering is just as easy.
Turn on your hotspot in phone settings then scan for the ssid on the device you want to connect with and enter the password given on the phone. Simples slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123142 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thanks Rich. I promise I will try that. Must be getting better. Some words don't strike as much fear into my heart now. LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 15