cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what was peoples first mobile phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

5110.jpgwhat was everybodys first mobile phones.

mine was a nokia 5110 on orange in 1999 or as they called it the nokia c402 

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

sheepdog
  • 3326 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

The classic Nokia 6110 from '98. Even had it connected to my Palm Vx via the special cable and connector! Lasted 6 years in my hands including several trips abroad and the frequent accidental drop kicks. Gave it to someone who managed to break it within a week!

Message 41 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's pretty impressive by the way, sheepdog. Thought that phone was indestructible.
Message 42 of 77

sheepdog
  • 3326 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Apparently not quite against a car door shutting. Though it didn't actually break the phone only the LCD screen.
Message 43 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah well, bricks sometime break as well, I guess grin
Message 44 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

the old mobile bricks were good for making walls tooSmiley Very Happy

Message 45 of 77

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2237 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Back in 1999 my parents got a Alcatel One Touch Easy with a Xtra-Pack from -back then it was called D1- tmobile.

But soon after I was the one who always used it and was able to understand it - so it became mine grin

http://www.inside-handy.de/img/handies/gallery/gal3071.jpg

First real own mobile was Nokia 3310 in 2001 - Pay as you go from D1 too, with the number I still use. ^^

BTW what happened to Alcatel? In Germany they disappeared from the market, but the netherlands still sell them (Got one smartphone for my dad with 2 sim-slots from Alcatel this year)

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 46 of 77

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I have been searching all night for a photo of my first mobile phone.  Cannot find one anywhere 😞  It was a Vodafone gsm phone, didnt ever see any other name on it. I shall keep looking though!

Samsung S8
Message 47 of 77

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

My first mobile phone:)

More info

wink

my real first one was a Nokia 3310 I feel rather young:(

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 48 of 77

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
my real first one was a Nokia 3310 I feel rather young:(

Here's mine:

Stovepipephone.jpg

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 49 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

My first ever phone was a BT 'Pearl' handset on Cellnet. Hah! slight_smile

Amazingly I can't find a picture of a BT 'Pearl' on the internet so the old WWW isn't as good as it is made out!....

Being a 1G phone it did tend to cook the side of your head, I mean you could actually feel your flesh warming up I kid you not, it got quite uncomfortable and after say 20 minutes you were convinced that a brain tumour was forming as you chatted.

It was a pretty robust handset. I dropped it from over 1 metre onto a tiled floor and it survived with only minor damage.

It's funny thinking back to it, 1G, no texts, no SIM card, but great coverage on the Cellnet TACS network was actually quite good. I remember travelling on a train in a very rural area but noticing I had a signal I decided to place a call to my Mum. There were looks of shock and revulsion from a few old dears on board who looked at me as if I had just landed from Mars.

Message 50 of 77