cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your traditional Christmas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

It's my first year in the UK, so I was hoping to get your thoughts on what the next couple of days should look like? We've got some family and friends visiting from Holland and I'd love to show them a traditional Christmas.

So, pub tonight? Gifts and food tomorrow? Would love to hear what you're planning to do.

Cheers,

Leonard

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Well my German Christmas is now over and will be on the 5.00pm flight home. Have to say that I found Christmas here truly a time for family celebration and very traditional. Now back to reality!

Message 11 of 20

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Leonard

You mean "Groningen in Groningen" grin Our tutor (she was from Born, Limburg) was so pissed when we both Germans said "Holland" instead of Limburg/Nederland... But herself used it all the time XD

Guess you're talking a dutch I don't understand :S

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 12 of 20

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Wasn't Groningen voted most depressing city by the residents of Groningen wink I have a friend who comes from Sittard (hmmm, remember getting a rather delicious garlic sausage from a butcher there) and oddly, I used to live across the border from Roermond in Germany (Elmpt) back in the 80's! Though I've resided in Utrecht myself.

Strange dialect in the Limburg area though. A definite mixture of Dutch, German and some regional bias making them less dutch than dutch. My friends grandmother didn't want to speak   dutch and only the local dialect. 

Message 13 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
@jonsie: Happy to hear you had a good Christmas in Germany. Did you have any snow?

@CC: Yea, Groningen in Groningen slight_smile
My girlfriend was watching this video about the difference between Holland/The Netherlands the other day. Quite funny, as it's all true: http://www.collegehumor.com/embed/6859167/holland-vs-the-netherlands

@sheepdog: No way! grin It's actually quite similar to Utrecht. It's a student city with the highest percentage of 20-25 year olds in Holland (around 15%). That, combined with a big, concentrated and vibrant city center makes it one of the best cities to go to in The Netherlands.

Limburg is great as well. Really fantastic area with a amazingly warm and kind people who enjoy the good things in live. My personal favorites are Maastricht and Valkenburg. The yearly festival "Pinkpop", which is hosted in Landgraaf is fantastic as well.
Message 14 of 20

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Limburg is great as well. Really fantastic area with a amazingly warm and kind people who enjoy the good things in live. My personal favorites are Maastricht and Valkenburg. The yearly festival "Pinkpop", which is hosted in Landgraaf is fantastic as well.

Hell yes! Gonna go to Pinkpop next year, Green Day's having a concert there (and so close... Would be stupid not to go!)

Even 50 year old are smoking weed there. Very funny grin

@sheepdog

You lived in Viersen? I come from Heinsberg. How did you end up there, the Royal Airforce Base in Wildenrath?

@Leo

Gonna see that soon grin Maar ik weet de verschil tussen land en provincies ^^ I have limburgs ancestors slight_smile

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 15 of 20

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Leonard

We had snow up till the 23rd and then the drizzle took over and the snow was all gone for Christmas Eve. Very enjoyable whilst it lasted though.

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
@jonsie: Really happy to hear you had a good time!

@CC: Nice one. Make sure you dress up for it though! slight_smile
Message 17 of 20

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@ComaChameleon wrote:

@sheepdog

You lived in Viersen? I come from Heinsberg. How did you end up there, the Royal Airforce Base in Wildenrath?

Not quite: RAF Bruggen (father in the RAF!) though I did know a few people who lived around that area. Briefly went to sixth form at Kent School which was a unique experience to say the least. 

Message 18 of 20

ComaChameleon
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Leo

You mean weather-technical?

You mentioned Valkenburg, ever visited the Weihnachtsmarkt in the caves?

btw when it comes to xmas decorations the dutch are closer to the british people. It's so full of Kitsch... Loved the tuincentrum-exhibition

@sheepdog

Didn't knew there were 3 bases, just knew Wildenrath (half of my family is from Arsbeck/Klinkum/Wildenrath), my parents always tell from the time when the Harrier and Phantoms were stationed here. I think there's one base left near Mönchengladbach.

Living in different countries is a good experience for sure.

Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

My traditional Christmas is having Christmas dinner at my parents house. Then going up to my girlfriend's parents in the afternoon and spending the rest of the afternoon with them. Then in the evening we usually go round to my girlfriend's sister's house for a drink and some nibbles and a chat and we usually have a good laugh too Smiley LOL

Message 20 of 20