cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your advice / opinion will be welcome ... ... ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ... I have missed the date to imput my dual fuel meter readings online to Scottish Power ... so ... have an estimated reading ... I pay by direct debit ... important thing is I could have prospectively had a few hundred GBP payment into my bank account ... ... ... this is a thing done early August on a 1st come 1st served basis for customers like me who have special circumstances eg PIPs (Personal Independent Payments) ... ... ... was DLA (Disability Living Allowance) 

I get the Heebie Geebies at the thought of going down into the cellar ... also ... particularly the electric meter is somewhat difficult to read as it is in a drop down cupboard 

I also am very anxious about telephoning any Customer Services ... I just perform poorly at this type of thing

Do you have any helpful hints for me ... ... ... I'm thinking it would be worth a try calling Scottish Power ... & ... try to explain my situation

Any help will be gratefully received ... thank you 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just submit your reading online and they will update your bills.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

You do need to ring customer services, it's as simple as that. We had problems with our meter a few months back and they sent someone from the meter services to change it.

If you explain you have difficulty accessing your cellar, they may relocate it for you.

Either way, nothing will happen or be improved, until you phone SP Customer services. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some Positive Feedback

Thank you @Cleoriff for your encouraging reply smiling

Lengthy constructive exchange of information with a lovely Scottish lady called Almas

I was anxious to begin with ... it helped that I did not have to wait long for a pleasant, efficient & knowledgeable CS advisor

Little background noise ... & ... Almas spoke clearly over the phone

It helped that I firstly asked if she could speak slowly to me as I am mentally & physically disabled ... this kicked things off

Without dotting every i and crossing every t ... ... ... suffice to say I now have 3 helpful telephone numbers probably relevant to me and my circumstances: Energy Efficiency Advice + Warm Home Discount + Over 60's Yearly Winter Discount (I am 65)

The meter reading department have now been notified to arrange a visit

I will be contacted when SP are to be in the area installing smart meters which I would like ... I had thought I'd not be allowed one as I live in an old house

I thanked Almas & wished her a pleasant day

Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well done @Anonymous 

Once you have the confidence to call, you usually find they are most helpful to all elderly and 'at risk' customers wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Well done @Anonymous 

Once you have the confidence to call, you usually find they are most helpful to all elderly and 'at risk' customers wink

Thank you @Cleoriff smiling

Message 6 of 18

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glad you got it sorted @Anonymous 

I haven't been able to read my meter in the 18 months I've lived here. I've had an estimated bill every month.

My meter is a cupboard at ground level, I can't get down to read it or I wouldn't be able to get up again. For a smart meter, it's so smart that it can't be read by either my son or my carers. It's an online only dual energy company with no telephone support and no email support....yet every month I get an email telling me to submit my meter readings via the app.

All there is in the way of support is a virtual assistant (a bit like Ask Lucy for those who remember her on the O2 site)

Eventually I got an email stating a meter reader would call but apparently he was outsourced. You couldn't make it up!

Upshot was that I was £185 in credit. There was no way to request this be paid back into my account and they simply adjusted my direct debit.

Guess who is going to change supplier......

Message 7 of 18

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm with Atlantic. A subsiduary of SSE. They are absolutely brilliant. Great call staff. I have a dual tariff with them Gas and Electric. At the end of the year if I have overpaid, they put it into back into my bank account.

In April this year I had a letter to say I had overpaid by £1040!! So I called them. I knew that was a mistake. A great CS told me they were about to pay that back into my bank and it was red flagged. Apparently my electric meter hadn't recorded anything for 5 months.

A meter engineer came within the week. Another great guy. He job was to fix existing meter. It couldn't be fixed. So he rang and asked for another job number to exchange the meter instead of making us wait.

Job number came through. He changed the meter.

We had to phone them after 4 weeks with new meter reading so they could estimate how much they owed us.

We phoned after 4 weeks and voila a week later they repaid £560 back into our bank. Also reduced our monthly Direct Debit.

I know if we did a comparison check we may find something cheaper. I'm not interested if honest. I have had nothing but excellent service from Atlantic and I can guarantee that at the end of the year, we always get a rebate.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting reading @Cleoriff  & @jonsie 

You didn't say which supplier you were with jonsie ?

In the olden days any amount over £100 was returned to you as a refund

My new tarif is about £530 per year ... I won't be using anything like that ... so waiting upon meter reading department to do their stuff

It is all very complex for me to comprehend att of a phone call ... anyway I just cannot fathom which is the best tarif for me given the info in front of me

I get my welcome pack within 5 days

Message 10 of 18