Did you mean: 

Women in sports & women's world cup

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys,

Came across this article around brands sponsoring and supporting women in sports and how this is getting more and more popular recently, especially with rugby, football and netball. It talks about various big companies being involved and their reasons for doing so, and what role women's sports plays in driving important long-term changes.

Thought it might be interesting reading for you sports fans, and in general too - if any of you want to read it I'd love to hear your views on the subject. thumbsup

The article also mentions O2 due to our Rugby sponsorship! If you scroll down the article you can read what O2's role is within England women's rugby.

It's good timing also now as obviously the women's world cup is taking place at the moment until 7th July --> you're tuning in at least @Mi-Amigo, based on the weekend discussion earlier? Anyone else watching? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

They were all on in my local. A good turnout too so the landlady will be pleased smiling

As I said, that's what I call a GOOD sports bar @jonsie 

My friends ran a similar one in Spain. 4 TV's and it was packed constantly. Day and night.

Once they retired and sold it on to new people who changed the format, they went out of business in 3 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You have to give the people who spend their money what they want. Some pubs depend on sports for their livelihood so it makes sense to look after their customers.

Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

You have to give the people who spend their money what they want. Some pubs depend on sports for their livelihood so it makes sense to look after their customers.

I think every community should have a local pub offering live sports, because not everyone can afford to have the latest Sky TV packages in their home.

Sadly, some pubs are also finding it difficult to justify those costs, and I was shocked to discover how much Sky are charging for a “club license”. Not surprisingly, some landlords are deciding to concentrate on what they think is the more profitable side of their business, and are basically turning their pubs into restaurants. 

I was pleased to hear that BBC and ITV have won the latest bid for the Six Nations Rugby Championship (until 2021). It’s important that we get as much sport as we can on free-to-air television. 

Message 23 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I do agree about the cost of Sky Subscriptions for clubs. My friends in Spain found it much cheaper as they went through Algeciras TV.

However, with regards to F1 yesterday, as it was the home GP, full coverage was shown on Channel 4.

(who normally only show highlights)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

I do agree about the cost of Sky Subscriptions for clubs. My friends in Spain found it much cheaper as they went through Algeciras TV.

However, with regards to F1 yesterday, as it was the home GP, full coverage was shown on Channel 4.

(who normally only show highlights)

Channel 4 had a difficult balance to strike, because they were also covering the final of the cricket, which then had to be interrupted to make way for the Grand Prix. I’m not sure that too many cricket fans would have been happy with that, but I suppose it was better than not having any coverage at all.

With regard to having British interest in sporting events, our own Geraint Thomas is the defending champion of the Tour de France, which is arguably the most gruelling endurance event on the planet. It’s good that it’s being covered by ITV 4, but it barely gets a mention in BBC news bulletins (unless you live in Wales, where his progress is being monitored in local news). 

And unless England manage to win the tournament, I don’t think too many will care that the Netball World Cup is happening right now (bringing us back on topic :smileywink:).

Message 25 of 29

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
@pgn bloody hell that's cool lol @Cleoriff I missed it lol so watched the highlights then I watched the actual thing was brilliant
Message 26 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I think the Cricket was moved to More 4 so it wasn't interrupted...you just needed to change channel. Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

I think the Cricket was moved to More 4 so it wasn't interrupted...you just needed to change channel. Lol

I can’t believe I wasted all that money going down the pub  thinking

Message 28 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case anyone has forgotten, it was England’s women who led the way wink

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/603470

Message 29 of 29