Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired vs Wireless

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Do you prefer wired devices or wireless devices?

Not so long ago all devices were wired but now most devices come with a wireless option.

Do you prefer a wired mouse or a wireless mouse?

Do you prefer wired speakers or wireless speakers?

I switched to a wireless mouse a few months ago and although I loved it because I was able to be more free with using it from a bit of a distance from my laptop, I had a few little issues: 

-The batteries drained quite quickly. 

-Sometimes the USB would reject the dongle. 

-If it had to be reset then it had to be re-synced again.

-I kept losing it lol.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

When I had a desktop PC I used both options and always opted for the high end accessories and batteries.

Since I moved to a MBA I no longer use a mouse as the TrackPad is really good and the speaker system is more than adequate..

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Do you prefer wired devices or wireless devices?

Not so long ago all devices were wired but now most devices come with a wireless option.

Do you prefer a wired mouse or a wireless mouse?

Do you prefer wired speakers or wireless speakers?

I switched to a wireless mouse a few months ago and although I loved it because I was able to be more free with using it from a bit of a distance from my laptop, I had a few little issues: 

-The batteries drained quite quickly. 

-Sometimes the USB would reject the dongle. 

-If it had to be reset then it had to be re-synced again.

-I kept losing it lol.

I use wired connections for all of my devices. It is maximum performance and it is not prone to the casual snooping that WiFi devices are prone to. Not to say that ethernet is totally secure from snooping, it isn't, but generally to snoop on a non-wireless medium you need to gain physical access to install monitoring gear onto it/into it so that you can do the snooping.

Wireless service capability is reaching a saturation point. Yes people want mobility and to have access to their Internet service. But as more people hit WiFi, the more interference and drop outs there are in general. Then people go and use things like powerline adapters which create interference over a relatively large distance. Yes this gains the person better WiFi performance in their own home but it messes with the signal strength of other peoples WiFi for several homes away. Leading to those people using powerline adapters... and so the domino effect goes on and on, then on some more for good measure.

Not forgetting that fellow WiFi devices constantly interfere with each other, like bluetooth dongles/bluetooth controllers, wireless phone(s), car alarm systems, boiler systems,  etc etc. There's literally so much traffic going through the air that I would never bother with using WiFi.

Of course, due to how the 802.11 protocol is setup, even in an ideal environment where your router is the only wireless capable device for miles around. It will still underperform when compared against ethernet.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got to be a wireless mouse had them since they first came out use wired at work and hate them they are so annoying
Message 4 of 7

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Oh yes I forgot - one of the cons of having wired devices is that the wires will get all mixed up

Destroy

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, all wired for me as well! I do alot of gaming on my PC at home and so a wired ethernet connection and wired keyboard/mouse are better that their wireless counterparts.

I also have my PS3, 360, Sky and TV all wired via a switch in my livingroom.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
PC is wired Ethernet can't stand the wired keyboard and mouse though
Message 7 of 7