Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparable Car Insurance Websites

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't know if this is common knowledge, if so, then I feel silly for not knowing it sooner.

Basically, I use Compare The Market sometimes to look for car insurance quotes.  Usually about 20 results are shown and I look at the prices and the offers.

I have looked at my credit report and every single result that has come up in the past has appeared in my credit report.  So I have the same companies (most of which I haven't even used before) are repeated several times.  Some are just mentioned as ID checks and some actually state 'car insurance'

I was under the impression that the whole point of filling in all of the sections to complete the search (for example, time held driving licence for and if there are any previous convictions), that those answers are used to complete the search.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on the site you use to view your credit report, it should tell you that althought these "searches" appear on your report they are for information only. Should you apply for credit, they won't show to a possible lender so will have no bearing on wether you get credit or not.

From memory the searches made by the insurance companies are just to verify who you are.

Message 2 of 7

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi Papadug.

I understand that the ones which say 'ID check' next to them are just information ones but some actually say car insurance.  The search results say the same next to them as the one I used to get car insurance.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got this from Experian:

"Previous searches show the names of organisations that have seen or used some or all of the information recorded on your credit report within the past 12 months. Searches of your credit report should all have been made with your consent. Most will relate to credit applications you have made but some may be routine checks by your lenders on accounts you already have. Quotation searches (including those made via price comparison websites), unrecorded enquiries, identity verification checks and credit report applications are shown on your copy of your report but are not seen by lenders and are not taken into account when making credit decisions."

I don't think you need to worry, but if you are, contact the credit report provider and ask them slight_smile

Edit:

Also just found this on the Experian website:

"All routine checks of your credit report are logged so you can see and check them. Each search footprint will show the name of the organisation that carried out the search, the reason for the check and when it took place. There are a wide variety of reasons for checks to take place and your question includes a fair few. Importantly, though, only checks made to support your actual credit applications leave the type of search footprint that can affect credit scoring. As a result, checks registered as ‘insurance quotation’, ‘ID check’ or unrecorded enquiry’ will have no impact on your credit rating at all."

Also check out this article: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2196248/Can-insurance-comparisons-dent-credit-file.h...

Message 4 of 7

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks for that info PapaDug.

I wish they'd be more clear about it - to my knowledge I didn't know that they could put a record on your credit report until you at least go on their site or apply.

Oh well as long as it doesn't affect my credit report.  I'll pop a message to them just to get it confirmed slight_smile

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of these companies also do it to see if they will offer you the option of monthly payments on your insurance
Message 6 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You are also sharing your personal details with all these companies.

I find I can get a better deal by calling up for a quote to just one or two firms.

Firms like that don't include all the possible companies either but imply that they do.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 7