Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 9

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
The first date to put in your 2015 diary - the release of Windows 9.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-102...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1305025/windows-9-threshold-release-date-and-features-rumour...

The changes between Windows 7 and Windows 8 were so drastic and came under fire from many critics that it's fair to say that people are sceptical about the release if a Windows 9.

I personally prefer Windows 7, although as with all new operating systems, it had a lot of problems shortly after it's release. I know that Windows 8 was created primarily to work with the Windows phones (although some people claim that its features were created for ease with all devices), but I don't think that it has done anything to help PC users.

I don't like Windows 8, nor it's 8.1 update.

Rumours suggest that 8.2 will be easier on the eyes and better apps.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1: The only issue I had updating a family member's laptop from 8.0 to 8.1 was that after the process completed, it forced the local admin account to change to a windows live account. So I ended up having to create a new email for it, assign it to the account, just to get the thing to let me log in again.

After that I deleted the ruined admin account and made a new local admin account again for the computer.

Message 21 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a laptop with Windows 8 and ended up going back to my old one running Windows 7.  There is absolutely nothing I like about 8 and I don't know what I'll do if this laptop dies!

Message 22 of 24

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@gemz4the1: The only issue I had updating a family member's laptop from 8.0 to 8.1 was that after the process completed, it forced the local admin account to change to a windows live account. So I ended up having to create a new email for it, assign it to the account, just to get the thing to let me log in again.

After that I deleted the ruined admin account and made a new local admin account again for the computer.

I got a free 'upgrade' to Windows 8 with the last PC I bought but as it could be put on any Windows device I put it on my Tablet PC to which it's far more suited than on the desktop.

I had the same wanting to sign in to an online Microsoft account when first setup but reverted back to a local admin, only to have to go through the same process again updating it to 8.1, though maybe as it had previously been Vista then Win 7, I was able to just use the pre-existing local admin with it's fingerprint sign on.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 23 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a free 'upgrade' to Windows 8 with the last PC I bought but as it could be put on any Windows device I put it on my Tablet PC to which it's far more suited than on the desktop.

I had the same wanting to sign in to an online Microsoft account when first setup but reverted back to a local admin, only to have to go through the same process again updating it to 8.1, though maybe as it had previously been Vista then Win 7, I was able to just use the pre-existing local admin with it's fingerprint sign on.

It's annoying that way. Every time you go to create an account it automatically leads you to create an online account. Then when you click the sub option to tell it you want new account to be local only, it's like 'are you really really sure you want a local account? an online account is so much better!"

Yes I'm sure it is... not. If I want something online I will post it online. The thought of having the account constantly transmitting oodles of data online all the time would be a privacy disaster in my opinion.  Combined with the fact I cannot always be online, esp. so when I outright refuse to use hotspots due to security risks (packet sniffers etc), the online account wouldn't work during this times. Thankfully I don't have to use that computer much at all, I just maintain it via the admin account I made on it when they ask for help.

It's good that you got around the prompting to make a live account. In my case, after it had done the majority of the upgrade to 8.1 on the laptop here, it took me to a final completion window. GONE was the option to login normally, nor could I switch out to another account and there no option along the lines of "leave this account as local only." It was dead set on me fully converting my local admin into an online account.

Since I didn't want to hard reboot in case it caused the 8.1 upgrade to fail and potentially completely bork the computer. I done the above, very be grudgingly then made a new local admin after removing the old account.

Message 24 of 24