cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi alternative Li-Fi proves to be 100 times faster

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks, 

I found a piece e of news that I thought you´d like to read...Basically, there is a newly invented wi-fi alternative tech called Li-Fi which is been able to send data at speeds 100 quicker than current Wi-Fi tech! Had you heard about it?

See news here. In summary:

¨Invented by Professor Harald Haas from the University of Edinburgh, Li-Fi, or light fidelity, transfers data over the visual spectrum rather than via radio waves.

It uses light bulbs that flash on and off exceptionally quickly, sending binary information to a recipient.

The fastest speed on record for the tech in a lab setting had been 3Gbit/s during the development of the tech, but two years ago, researchers began using specially developed LED bulbs that could separat the light into parallel streams, to triple the speed.

While these speeds are impressive in a lab setting, until now, results of Li-Fi tech in a real in a real world setting hasn't been really revealed.

Haas believes Li-Fi could eventually be used to power a future generation of network in conjunction with Wi-Fi, providing more consistent coverage within buildings, as well as making for a potentially more secure network as Li-Fi can penetrate walls.

Here´s Professor Harald Haas presentation too if you want to learn how it actually works and how it all came about

What are your first impressions?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I know @adamtemp64 was trying to connect from JFK airport  as he has a 6 hr stopover. No joy for him either...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Maybe the hamsters were having a union meeting.  I know personally they are struggling to cope with all the complaints....

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive managed to log on no problem but yesterday it was very glitchy, sometimes I would get the hamster error message when I tried to log on 

Message 13 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I went onto Live Chat...connected immediately at 8.15am Very pleasant guy who told me it was 'a known issue' and would be fixed in 2-3 hrs...I questioned that length of time and he said 'our dedicated team are working hard and it will be done before that'....It was back on 45mins later

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 14