cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why BT/Yahoo email is sometime "slow" to arrive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently email sent to a BT or Yahoo email address is automatically rejected by the relevant servers and placed on a "grey list". If a second  attempt is made later the email is accepted.  This apparently helps to reduce spam.  Details are at http://bit.ly/1lGkeqb 

Isn't it wonderful what you can find out through Google?

Gerry DD (Have awarded myself a Doctor of Drivel degree)

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff    Oh I do hope you are not implying that because something is old it is no longer valid or useful - for I am old  and ..... well OK maybe you have a point!

Gerry  

Message 11 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124305 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff    Oh I do hope you are not implying that because something is old it is no longer valid or useful - for I am old  and ..... well OK maybe you have a point!

Gerry  

Not at all @Anonymous LOL

I am the one at fault! I just read your post, I never checked the link provided. However if nothing else it

just goes to show, I really didn't need to read the link, as I could post from first hand experience of using

BTYahoo Mail:smileywink:

(So....the fact it was 5 years old was irrelevant....)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

As already mentioned, the article is from 5 years ago so you can correctly assume that email systems and spam filtering solutions have advanced ALOT since then. I'm sure BT Yahoo email got a makeover a couple of years ago which will have meant a change in the backend of their email system.

Is anyone still finding that BT Yahoo email is slow?

A bigger concern of BT Yahoo email users should be how hackers are able to send emails containing malicious links from their accounts to their entire address book. I see these daily at my work and I often wonder  not only how the hackers manage it or why as they never delete anything, but why BT or Yahoo haven't been taken to task for it. I also see alot of fake "distress" emails from these accounts to everyone in their contacts stating that they are in a foriegn city, been robbed and need a hefty monetary amount to get home!

I should probably also point out that this isn't isolated to BT Yahoo email accounts but also Yahoo and Hotmail wink

Message 13 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124305 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

An update on all this.

Yesterday I was quite positive in my post about BT/Yahoo mail....I think that comment jinxed me!!

From 2.30 pm my incoming emails stopped completely. My inbox was rather like the Marie Celeste ....

It remained like this for a good few hours.

In desperation I updated Firefox to the latest edition. Coincidentally after that, emails began flooding in..

So, if I had joined this debate yesterday afternoon, I would have had a far different experience to relate tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Cleoriff

I do seem to be getting e mails in fast succession batches this morning so I'm wondering if Bt are moving mine from BtYahoo to BtMail ?

I agree with you that all info can be relevant no matter how long it's been out there. After all it's easy to discount some of the older parts of it.
Message 15 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff No no no!  You were not at fault at all.  Hope I did not imply that you were.

And yes I think the age of the document is irrelevant.  Just by way of experiment I sent an email from a Yahoo account to my BT Yahoo address at about 20:30 yesterday.  It did not turn up in my BT Yahoo inbox until 23:20 last night. 

However I do understand that evryone's experience differs and I think we can now happily close this thread.  Thanks for all the responses folks.

Gerry

Message 16 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want this thread closing @Anonymous you are best asking for it to be done.

Ie ; @Toby would I think if you asked him.
Message 17 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I wasn't making an issue of closing the thread.  I just meant I thought the matter was sort of exhausted.   I certainly don't want or intend to stifle debate or prevent anyone expressing their views - not at all.  It was my usual loose use of words - can I claim clemency due to advancing age and stupidity please? 

Gerry   Smiley Embarassed

Message 18 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think until movement of our e mail account from yahoo to btmail has started etc perhaps a few people are going to want to update their findings in your thread To perhaps report back if it's as seamless as they say ,and if people are still getting e mail pushed to their mobile devices ok.

I would be grateful if you left this open @Anonymous and was just really advising you as the original op how to request a thread to be closed. slight_smile
Message 19 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 124305 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Anonymous  I think its good to keep it open actually. As you see it has grown from what you originally posted

(I for one forgot totally about the transfer of Yahoo and BT mail)

It may well be that is why mine went down for that long period last night Thinking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 34