Did you mean: 

White Room Thursday Quiz 15th Aug 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25121 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT , is

@pgn  

The six questions are:

Q1 Who is the Australian city of Adelaide named after?

Q2 Where are the Islets of Langerhans?

Q3 Where did lettered rock [confectionary] originate?

Q4 What is a widgeon?

Q5 How long is a badmington court?

Q6 Which Shakespeare play features the character Puck?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and answer.

You can post one, or more, answer at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 15 August 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 16 August 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @pgn 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
I'd smash the lot,

Big 'ed!! LOL

Image result for Image of Big Head

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35750 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

First pass, 3 certs, 2 maybes and a "haven't a baldie" :

I think it was Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, wife of King William IV, one of the monarchs near the end of the House of Hannover's line. We encountered a memorial to some of the monarchs of that line when exploring in the German city of Hannover once, strange seeing English Kings listed on a plaque in a park in Germany... 

In the pancreas, the gland associated with insulin production (among other functions). 

Logic suggests Blackpool or Brighton, but I think it was first made in Yorkshire, for some reason. Sheffield, or perhaps Leeds. I've been to Leeds, don't recall it mentioned - so Sheffield, I think. 

Q4 What is a widgeon?

The Grumman A44 Widgeon is an amphibious seaplane, used widely in inhabited areas where lake area exceeds land area. Also a breed of duck. 

Just under 13.5m long, by just over 6m wide (a doubles court is, anyway). About 44' in old money. 

A Midsummer Night's Dream. 

Message 12 of 26

Mi-Amigo
  • 25121 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The results:

Here are the answers given by @pgn 

A1 I think it was Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, wife of King William IV, one of the monarchs near the end of the House of Hannover's line. We encountered a memorial to some of the monarchs of that line when exploring in the German city of Hannover once, strange seeing English Kings listed on a plaque in a park in Germany...

- correct = awarded star 

A2 In the pancreas, the gland associated with insulin production (among other functions).

- correct = awarded star 

A3 Logic suggests Blackpool or Brighton, but I think it was first made in Yorkshire, for some reason. Sheffield, or perhaps Leeds. I've been to Leeds, don't recall it mentioned - so Sheffield, I think.

- Sheffield is incorrect. But, as you correctly said it was not in Blackpool or Brighton and was first made in Yorkshire, I will award a half star

- the correct answer is Dewsbury, Yorkshire, where Ben Bullock [a former miner] and his partner, Slater, formed a sweet making business in 1876 and produced a lettered rock with the words "Whoa, Emma" [the name of a popular music hall song of the time] running through it, which they sold at markets in Dewsbury and Heckmondwicke. A little later, Bullock took samples with him on holiday to Blackpool, where local merchants requested consignments of rock with Blackpool running through it, which were produced by Slater & Bullock in Dewsbury, and shipped to Blackpool where they were sold. 

Q4 What is a widgeon?

A4 The Grumman A44 Widgeon is an amphibious seaplane, used widely in inhabited areas where lake area exceeds land area. Also a breed of duck.

- correct = awarded star 

Just under 13.5m long, by just over 6m wide (a doubles court is, anyway). About 44' in old money.

- correct = awarded star 

A Midsummer Night's Dream.

- correct = awarded star

Well done @pgn - you are awarded star star star star star and a half star = almost achieving the Silver Thinker award

How did those playing along do? How many did you get right? Please feel free to post your comments.

Thanks everyone for playing along.

If you would like to be a contestant, and have not already put your name forward, please post your name or pm me [ @Mi-Amigo ] and I`ll add your name to the list to be drawn by @EmilieT 

I hope everyone enjoyed playing and will play along next week.

Thanks again

Mi-Amigo

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 13 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@pgn Well done nerd

Out of all these questions, I only knew the answer to one (the last one about Shakespeare play), but I've had fun trying to guess the others yesterday! I can't wait to see what the questions are next week @Mi-Amigo, it's always interesting to challenge my knowledge and learn new things smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I got the 4 I said originally.

Q1  Correct

Q2 Correct (Well you would expect me to know that) rofl

Q3, Wrong

Q4 Correct

Q5  Wrong, though just by half a metre

Q6 Correct.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 26

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
Some great questions. I got Q3 to 6. 1and 2 are corkers!
Message 16 of 26

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions
Although....... once again in the spirit of fun number 4 could be:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/widgeon

Although there are 2 spellings one with and one without the d apparently😂
Message 17 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

When I was in training, we had a mid term exam. One of the questions was 'Where are the Islets of Langerhans?' I was lucky as I had studied the endocrine system so was able to say where they were and what they did.

My friend, a good nurse normally, had decided we would be asked about the Nervous System and had no clue. So she put Sardinia. LOL

We laughed about that for years. In fact she travelled to Sardinia about 20 years ago, I asked her if she would be staying in the Islets of Langerhans....Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 26

Mi-Amigo
  • 25121 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT 

Thanks for playing along. At least you got one right, as questions are quite hard. Different questions from wide range of subjects next week - so good luck.

@Cleoriff 

I can see now why you wished you had got this quiz - given you knew Q2 thumbsup I loved the answer - Sardinia joy As for Q3 - that was the QI-style one; and as you were pretty close with Q5 would have got half star. Thanks for playing along.

@jezza1234 

Four correct is really good. As said, Q3 was the difficult QI-style - where the answer is not what most people think. Thanks for the info on Q4 and for playing along.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 19 of 26

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35750 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions
Great quiz, @Mi-Amigo and @EmilieT, thank you!

Just noticed a typo, the amphibious plane is a Grumman G44 Widgeon, not an A44. There is also Goose, Albatross, Mallard and Duck in the Grumman range wink

The badminton one was a stroke of luck, as it had come up in a local pub quiz a few months ago - we missed the answer then by 1.5m!

Love @Cleoriff's Islets of Langerhans story. 🤣

Thanks for the half-point for the lettered rock question. It was a shot in the dark. Yorkshire, not just famous for its tea 😁

Adelaide was fortuitous, thank the plaque in that Memorial Garden near the public aquarium in Hannover.

The last one was from school - fairies, bottoms and an ass, who could forget! 😂
Message 20 of 26