• 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

WHITE ROOM QUIZ- THE REVENGE!!

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Morning everyone!

I posted advance notice of this quiz on Monday HERE 

The White Room quiz with a difference!

@Mi-Amigo  has been setting these quizzes and testing our brain power since August 2019.

Now it's HIS turn to be in the spotlight and show us what his knowledge is like, without access to reference books, Google, Wiki You Tube.

I also welcome everyone else to take part. @pgn , @gmarkj @MI5 @jonsie  @WispaRed7  @RyanK1992  @jezza1234 @Marjo @Martin-O2 @Bob_Mcg @Sy @TallTrees and any other member new and old.

QUESTIONS:

Q1 (Inventions) Lewis Carroll was a well-known author. He was also an inventor. What was his most famous invention?

Q2: (Music)  What song reached No.6 in the UK charts in the 1950's and then reached No.1 twenty nine years later?

Q3 (History) What was the shortest war ever fought?

Q4 (Sport) Up till July 2018, what was the most watched Sporting event in the World?

Q5 (Television) In the USA, who were the first couple to be seen in bed together on TV?

Q6 (Theatre) In the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet, how old was Juliet when she died?

Q7 (World Record) What building holds the world record for the most toilets?

Q8 (Culture) In what country is it considered extremely impolite to touch an adults head?

Q9 (Geography) What Middle east capital city was once called Philadelphia?

Q10 (Medicine) What is the oldest, most widely used drug in the world?

Q11 (Literature) Night is generally my time for walking.” This is the opening line to which novel by Charles Dickens?

Q12 (Food and Drink) Which beer famously has a blue 5 pointed star on its label?

RULES: PLEASE NOTE CHANGE IN TIMINGS

Everyone who wishes to take part must PM ME (@Cleoriff ) their answers between the hours of 00.01- 23.00pm THURSDAY 16th January.

@Mi-Amigo will post his answers OPENLY on the thread between 23.15 and 23.59pm the same day THURSDAY 16th January (once all PM'd answers have been sent to me)

Any answers which arrive or are posted after the times stated will be declared null and void.

Also no use of google, wiki, reference books or YouTube for anyone taking part.

ANSWERS AND RESULTS :

Each member will be awarded a star for any correct answer

There will also be an award of the Thinkers

Thinker 4.PNG

I will post the answers on Friday 17th January

That's it. Best of luck. Let battle commence yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Didn't catch this in time to PM you.

But I got.................7😂.
unnamed
Message 51 of 68

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Answers given by contestants in the order of PM's received.

@Anonymous 

1: the Time Machine (Incorrect) 2: Billy Hayley and the Comets - Rock Around The Clock (Incorrect)3: the 6 Day War (Incorrect)

4: Chris Hoy at the Olympics get his 'umpteenth' Gold Medal (incorrect) 5: Some people in the tv series Peyton Place (Incorrect)

6: Too Young Smiley Very Happy (Incorrect)7: The Gherkin, London(Incorrect) 8: Japan (incorrect) 9: Riyadh (Incorrect) 10: aspirin (incorrect)11: A Christmas Carol (Incorrect) 12: 'Newkie Brahn' ... ... ... Newcastle Brown (Correct)  1 star awarded

@MI5 

1)  I'll go with an early version of the game Scrabble. Partly correct so 1/2 star awarded .2)Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson (Correct) awarded star.3) we went to war with Zanzibar which lasted less than an hour?(Correct) awarded star  4)Pure guess but logically I'd say the football world cup final.(Incorrect) 5) Had this in a pub quiz and can remember the argument about it but I think the final answer was Mary and Jonny Sterns? (Correct) Awarded star 6) 13 (Correct) awarded star 7)The Porcelain Palace in China (Incorrect) 8)Thailand (correct) awarded star 9)Amman (Correct) star

10) Alcohol (correct) star 11)The Old Curiosity Shop (Correct) star 12) Newky Brown: Newcastle Brown (Correct) star 9 and half stars awarded

@gmarkj 

1) A way to write in the dark (Part correct) Awarded half a star. 2)A Elvis Presley Song (Incorrect) 3) Anglo Zanzibar war (correct) awarded star 4) London 2012 Olympics (Correct) star 5) Flintstones (Incorrect) 6) 14 (Incorrect) 7) Wembley Stadium (Correct) star 😎 India (Incorrect) 9) Pass (Incorrect) 10) Penicillin (Incorrect) 11)Pass (Incorrect) 12) Heineken (Incorrect) 3 and half stars awarded.

@jonsie 

1) Scrabble (Part correct) Awarded half a star 2) Elvis The Wonder of you (Incorrect) 3 Anglo Zanzibar war (Correct) star 4) Beijing Olympics (Close but incorrect) 5) Fred and Wilma Flintstone (Incorrect) 6) 16 (Incorrect) 7) Armitage Shanks Factory (incorrect) 😎 Thailand (correct star 9) Amman  (Correct) star 10) Alcohol (correct) star 11)A midsummer nights dream (incorrect) 12) Newcastle Brown Correct star 5 and half stars awarded

I will do the remaining contestants to follow. Sending before this times out...four_leaf_clover

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

I have also decided I am rounding the scores UP. These half stars are getting on my wick and it's harder to assess the Thinkers awards. There was 1 question no-one got right, so it's unfair to penalise. Quizmasters decision is final rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 53 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Marjo 

1) He invented the typewriter (Incorrect) rofl 2)The song where they sing Have yourself a merry little Christmas (Incorrect) 3) A war that lasted 2 days, within one specific country.(Incorrect) 4)The Superbowl (Incorrect) 5) Was it Uhura and Captain Kirk in Star Trek? (incorrect) 6) She was 19 years old (Incorrect)

7) The White House (Incorrect) 😎 Japan (Incorrect) 9) Bucharest (Incorrect) 10) Alcohol (Correct) star

11) Dracula (incorrect) 12) Heineken (Incorrect) One star awarded

@Martin-O2 

1) The Microwave (incorrect) 2) Pass (Incorrect) 3) The 6 day war (Incorrect) 4) Football World Cup 1986 (Incorrect) 5) The Waltons (Incorrect) 6) 15 (Incorrect) 7) Empire State Building (incorrect) 😎 Thailand (correct) star 9) Tehran (incorrect) 10) Penicillin (Incorrect) 11) A Christmas Carol (incorrect) 12) Fosters (Incorrect) Total of one star awarded

@BobM 

1) No idea 2) Unchained Melody (Incorrect) 3) 6 day war (Incorrect) 4) Olympics but don't know which one) Sorry @BobM can't accept that. It needed to be specific. 5) Lucille Ball (incorrect) 6) 14 (Incorrect) 7) Wembley Stadium (correct) star 😎 Thailand (Correct star 9) I'm thinking Oman or Amman  so will go for Oman (Incorrect..should have stuck with Amman) 10) Alcohol (correct) star 11) Old Curiosity Shop (correct) star 12) Newcastle Brown Ale (correct) star 5 stars awarded

@pgn 

1)The nyctograph, a tool for helping you to write in the dark(Part correct 1/2 star)  2) Living Doll by Cliff Richard or an Elvis one (Incorrect) 3) Anglo Zanzibar war (correct) star 4) Fifa World Cup (incorrect)

5) I think it was an obscure US sitcom called "Mary and Johnny" (Correct)  star 6) 13 (Correct) star

7) Wembley (Correct) star 😎 Thailand (Correct) star 9) Amman (Correct) star 10) Alcohol (Correct) star 11) Old Curiosity Shop (correct) star 12) Newcastle Brown Ale (Correct) star 9 and half stars awarded

@Mi-Amigo 

1)a card template and square alphabet for writing in the dark - a nyctograph (Part correct half a star)

2) Reet Petite (good job I didn't ask for the singer) (Correct) star

3)Anglo Zanzibar war (Correct) star 4) FiFa World cup (Incorrect) 5) Lucy and Desi (Incorrect)

6) 13 (Correct) star 7)Wembley stadium (Correct) star 😎 Thailand (Correct) star 9) Lebanon (Incorrect) 10) Cannabis (Incorrect) 11) Old Curiosity Shop (Correct) star 12) Newcastle brown Ale (correct) star Total 7 and half stars.

Going to post this and then do the Thinkers....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

Apologies for the length of time it took to post, my fingers really did cramp!

Also, I'm rounding the stars up as no-one got the Lewis Carroll answer I posted, even though it was taken from the Lewis Carroll site(and QI) This means with half stars for correct other inventions have been awarded 1 star instead of a half

So joint first with a rounded up 10 stars are @MI5 and @pgn ...and I award you the Golden thinker

golden-thinker.jpg

In third place with a rounded up 8 stars is @Mi-Amigo  and I award you the Silver Thinker

silver-thinker.jpg

In 4th place with a rounded up 6 stars is @jonsie  Also awarded a silver thinker (Though maybe we should have a bronze...just a thought?)

silver-thinker.jpg

Finally, as much as I enjoyed doing this, I will never do it again. It takes hours!! So hats off to @Mi-Amigo  for keeping us all on our toes.

Thank you and good day nerdinnocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 68

MI5
  • 145130 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27862 Solutions

Well done @Cleoriff it was a tough job and a tough quiz slight_smile

Well done to everyone who had a go too yahoo

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 56 of 68

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4480 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well done to everyone who took part and a special mention for the quiz master/mistress who did a sterling job.   Just think @Cleoriff  you have a few days off before the 'Word Hunt Diamond' starts and by time the next 'White room Quiz' comes around you'll be an expert.  tongue_winking  

Seriously @Cleoriff you did a great job.   @Mi-Amigo  makes it look so easy, but to be honest I reckon he has a background staff of several people helping him out.

Message 57 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123431 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@BobM 

I had two people 'advising' me that the answers would be easy to work out if I did it on Excel. One was @pgn  the other was my husband Ray. I pointed out ..

1) I had never used Excel actually and....

2) The format had always been to show the answers given by everyone(in condensed format) with stars awarded so how the hell would that work on Excel (I only said that to my other half not @pgn ) rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 58 of 68

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25242 Posts
  • 820 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

CONGRATULATIONS @MI5 and @pgn for each getting 10 answers correct and the GOLD THINKER; and to @jonsie for getting 6 answer correct and the SILVER THINKER.

I am more than happy with getting 8 correct and the SILVER THINKER.

I`m kicking myself over the drug quesion. I knew that alcohol was/is used medically but thought - wrongly - it`s medical use did not date back as far as cannabis; and although I`ve heard of the alarm clock bed I had no idea it was invented by Lewis Carroll...

Also "Well done" to all those who took part.

A brilliant quiz. Thanks once again to @Cleoriff for organising and running this thumbsup and for being a great - and very fair - quizmaster Bow

Have I learnt anything from this? Yes. I still know nothing about sport or geography joy

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 59 of 68

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25242 Posts
  • 820 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@BobM wrote:

Well done to everyone who took part and a special mention for the quiz master/mistress who did a sterling job.   Just think @Cleoriff  you have a few days off before the 'Word Hunt Diamond' starts and by time the next 'White room Quiz' comes around you'll be an expert.  tongue_winking  

Seriously @Cleoriff you did a great job.   @Mi-Amigo  makes it look so easy, but to be honest I reckon he has a background staff of several people helping him out.

@BobM 

Well said and I echo your comments on @Cleoriff doing a sterling job.

Nope. No background staff helping me out but do have a spare room stacked with reference books which I use when I put a quiz together. That said, as promised, I didn`t consult any book, or online source for my answers to this quiz.

There will be a new White Room Quiz next week - information on this will be posted on a thread on Monday...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 60 of 68