White Room Quiz Mon 03 Aug 2020 - 1st Anniversary

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the First Anniversary of

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

To celebrate the First Anniversary of the White Room Quiz, instead of the usual eight questions - with two questions from four categories - there will be 12 questions - with one question from each of these categories

HISTORY  PLACES  NATURE  SPACE  ART  LITERATURE  MUSIC  MOVIES  TV  SPORT  GAMES  FOOD & DRINK 

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Monday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Tuesday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff  @pgn  @jonsie  @MI5  @gmarkj  @WispaRed7 

O2 Community managers @Marjo @Martin-O2 and @LukasB ; and O2 Guru @O2Karl 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TWELVE QUESTIONS

- please note: to tie-in with the First Anniversary, the questions are themed around "first"

and one question is QI-style, in which the answer is not what most people think

Q1 [HISTORY] Who was the first English monarch of the House of Hanover ?  

Q2 [PLACES] Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was built first ?

Q3 [NATURE] Where were the first Botanical Gardens in the world opened in 1545 [town; country] ?

Q4 [SPACE] Who was the first American astronaut to walk in space in 1965 ?

Q5 [ART] What was the title of Picasso`s first Cubist painting, painted in 1906 ? 

Q6 [LITERATURE] Who wrote "The First Men In The Moon", published in 1901 ?

Q7 [MUSIC] What is the planet in the first movement in Holst`s Planet Suite composed in 1914 ? 

Q8 [MOVIES] What was the name of the first movie to feature Mickey Mouse ?

Q9 [TV] What product was the first advertised in a TV commercial on ITV ?

Q10 [SPORT] Which was the first English football team to become League Champions in 1889 ? 

Q11 [GAMES] What is the first property on a standard UK Monopoly board ?

Q12 [FOOD & DRINK] In which county were cabbages first cultivated in England by Sir Anthony Ashley in 1539 ?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Mon 03 August] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tuesday 04 August]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Wed 05 August.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Mon 03 August 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tues 04 August 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Tuesday 04 August will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" with this week`s quiz. 

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

12 correct      10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers          answers       answers      answers      answers

diamond-thinker.jpggolden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg    bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Diamond         Golden         Silver         Bronze              Red

Thinker           Thinker       Thinker      Thinker           Thinker

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Good news.
Only just got signal back so was lucky earlier.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 31 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @gmarkj 

pm with your 12 answers received before deadline.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 [HISTORY] Who was the first English monarch of the House of Hanover ? 

A1   George I 

Q2 [PLACES] Which of the Seven Wonders of the World was built first ?

A2    Pyramids of Giza

Q3 [NATURE] Where were the first Botanical Gardens in the world opened in 1545 [town; country] ?

A3    Padua, Italy

Q4 [SPACE] Who was the first American astronaut to walk in space in 1965 ?

A4    Edward [Ed] White

Q5 [ART] What was the title of Picasso`s first Cubist painting, painted in 1906 ? 

A5    Les Demoiselles d`Avignon 

Q6 [LITERATURE] Who wrote "The First Men In The Moon", published in 1901 ?

A6    H G Wells

Q7 [MUSIC] What is the planet in the first movement in Holst`s Planet Suite composed in 1914 ? 

A7    Mars, Bringer of War

Q8 [MOVIES] What was the name of the first movie to feature Mickey Mouse ?

A8    This was the QI-style question - NOT Steamboat Willie, which was the third Mickey Mouse film,

first shown on 18 Nov 1928.

The correct answer is Plane Crazy, silent black and white film made early 1928 and screened in

Los Angeles on 15 May 1928, failed to attract distributor, shelved by Walter Disney, released

with sound 1929. The second Mickey Mouse film, The Galloping Gaucho, was a silent film made

after Plane Crazy and before Steamboat Willie, copywrite 2 August 1928, but not released until

30 December 1928.

[source: IMDb ]             

Q9 [TV] What product was the first advertised in a TV commercial on ITV ?

A9     toothpaste  [Gibbs S R - but you didn`t have to give name]

Q10 [SPORT] Which was the first English football team to become League Champions in 1889 ? 

A10    Preston North End

Q11 [GAMES] What is the first property on a standard UK Monopoly board ?

A11    Old Kent Road

Q12 [FOOD & DRINK] In which county were cabbages first cultivated in England by Sir Anthony Ashley in 1539 ?

A12   Dorset [village of Wimborne St Giles - but you didn`t have to give the name of village]

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 125987 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Damn and blast you Mickey Mouse!! rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS

@LukasB 

Q1 Henry - incorrect  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 pass

Q5 correct - awarded star   Q6 pass   Q7 pass   Q8 Steamboat Willie - incorrect   

Q9 pass  Q10 Arsenal - incorrect   Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 pass

plus, for four correct answers also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@Marjo 

Q1 Richard - incorrect  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 London - incorrect   Q4 Lance Armstrong - incorrect   

Q5 moustache - incorrect  Q6 Asimov - incorrect  Q7 Jupiter - incorrect  Q8 pass

Q9 soap - incorrect   Q10 Man Utd - incorrect  Q11 Basic House - incorrect  Q12 Middlesex - incorrect

Total: one star for one correct answer

@Cleoriff 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 correct - awarded star 

Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6 correct - awarded star   Q7 correct - awarded star

Q8 Steamboat Willie - incorrect   Q9 correct - awarded star   Q10 correct - awarded star

Q11 correct - awarded star   Q12 correct - awarded star plus, for more than 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@pgn 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 correct - awarded star  Q4 correct - awarded star 

Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6 correct - awarded star   Q7 correct - awarded star

Q8 Steamboat Willie - incorrect   Q9 correct - awarded star   Q10 correct - awarded star

Q11 correct - awarded star   Q12 correct - awarded star plus, for more than 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@MI5 

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@Anonymous 

Q1 pass  Q2 Hanging Gardens of Babylon - incorrect  Q3 London - incorrect  Q4 pass

Q5 pass  Q6 Arthur C Clarke - incorrect  Q7 Mercury - incorrect  Q8 Mickey & Goofy - incorrect

Q9 soap powder - incorrect  Q10 Blackburn Rovers - incorrect

Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 Norfolk - incorrect

Total: one star for one correct answer

@O2Karl 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3 pass  Q4 correct - awarded star

Q5 pass  Q6 pass  Q7 pass  Q8 Steamboat Willie - incorrect  Q9 pass  Q10 pass

Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 pass

plus, for four correct answers also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@gmarkj 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3 pass  Q4 correct - awarded star

Q5 pass   Q6 correct - awarded star   Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 Steamboat Willie - incorrect

Q9 correct - awarded star  Q10 correct - awarded star  Q11 correct - awarded star

Q12 correct - awarded star

plus, for more than 8 correct, also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 35 of 49

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38450 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions
And I thought the English King was the QI-style question, given birthplace of the first two Georges... 🤔

Super quiz, pleased at my performance, and good to see so many taking part - well done, all and especially @Mi-Amigo!
Message 36 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

AWARDS:

There was no winner of

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker

golden-thinker.jpg 

Gold Thinker   + star = 11 correct answers - @Cleoriff  @pgn  @MI5 

silver-thinker.jpg   

Silver Thinker  + star =   9 correct answers - @gmarkj 

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker                  =   4 correct answers - @LukasB  @O2Karl 

star                              =   1 correct answer -  @Anonymous  @Marjo 

CONGRATULATIONS to the GOLD THINKERS - @Cleoriff  @pgn  @MI5 

Well done to all those who took part

@gmarkj - Silver Thinker + star  @LukasB - Red Thinker  @O2Karl - Red Thinker

@Anonymous - star   @Marjo - star

I hope everyone enjoyed the quiz and will take part in today`s [Wednesday] which will be posted on a separate thread shortly with two questions from each of these categories

PEOPLE  PLACES  SCIENCE [one question on Chemistry; one on Biology]  WORDS

and for the first time on WRQ, one of these questions will be an "Odd One Out"

Thank you everyone for taking part in the WRQ.

@Mi-Amigo 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 37 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 125987 Posts
  • 831 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Great quiz @Mi-Amigo . Damn that Mickey Mouse!!rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 49

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

HAHAH red thinker I take that! Thanks @Mi-Amigo 

@Cleoriff the mouse was the only one I knew for sure haha

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 39 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25602 Posts
  • 857 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn and @Cleoriff and @LukasB 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz.

The Mickey Mouse question caught everyone out - maybe because no-one suspected it was the QI-style question...

I hope everyone likes the categories for today`s quiz which will be on a separate thread shortly.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 40 of 49