Did you mean: 

The White Room Thursday Quiz - the Return 23 Jan 2020 questions

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

As mentioned on Monday in the White Room Thursday Quiz - the Return  - Advanced Notice

the regular White Room Thursday Quiz is this back - with a few changes....

Each week, The White Room Thursday Quiz will have EIGHT questions, from a range of categories.

THIS WEEK`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 [people]: Which country was ruled by King Zog during the 20th century?

Q2 [places]: Which city in England was known to the Romans as Aquae Sulis?

Q3 [science]: Which internal organ is the largest in the human body?

Q4 [space]: What species were Laska and Benjy who were launched, separately, into space in 1958?

Q5 [words]: What does a tegestologist collect?

Q6 [television]: Who, in a popular TV series, lived at 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam?

Q7 [games]: In what game can a player "pick a cherry" and "leave a picket fence"?

Q8 [food and drink]: What ingredient gives Italian black pasta its colour? 

The White Room Thursday Quiz will be open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part will need to pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 23 January 2020.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and the results for each player taking part - will be posted on Friday morning.

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, each member who gives

EIGHT correct answers               SIX correct answers

will be awarded                       will be awarded

silver-thinker.jpg                 bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

SILVER THINKER                     BRONZE THINKER

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 23 January 2020.

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received before 00.01 on Thursday and/or after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

I hope that those who have taken part in a previous White Room Thursday Quiz, the Christmas Quiz, the New Year Quiz, and/or the Revenge - inc

@Cleoriff ; @pgn ; @gmarkj ; @MI5 ;  @jonsie ; @Bob_Mcg ; @WispaRed7 ; @Marjo ; @Martin-O2 ;

@WispaRed7 ; @RyanK1992 ;  @Sy ; @TallTrees ; @BOSSGOGG  

will take part, and new members, and those who have not previously played, will join in. 

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

, and, if you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the White Room Thursday Quiz so popular...

I hope everyone enjoys the revised edition of the White Room Thursday Quiz.

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 [people]: Which country was ruled by King Zog during the 20th century?

A1: Albania. Zog was born on 8 Oct 1895; became leader in Albania in 1922; Prime Minister from 6 Jan 1925 to 1 Sept 1928; King from 1 Sept 1928 to 7 Apr 1939. 

Q2 [places]: Which city in England was known to the Romans as Aquae Sulis?

A2: Bath

Q3 [science]: Which internal organ is the largest in the human body?

A3: the liver

Q4 [space]: What species were Laska and Benjy who were launched, separately, into space in 1958?

A4: the QI-style question, where answer is not what most people think it is.

Not dogs - Laika [not Laska] was a dog sent into space by the Russians.

Correct answer: Laska and Benjy were mice, sent, seperately, into space by the Americans in 1958.

Q5 [words]: What does a tegestologist collect?

A5: beermats

Q6 [television]: Who, in a popular TV series, lived at 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam?

A6: Tony Hancock [in Hancock`s Half Hour]

Q7 [games]: In what game can a player "pick a cherry" and "leave a picket fence"?

A7: ten-pin bowling

Q8 [food and drink]: What ingredient gives Italian black pasta its colour? 

A8: squid ink

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 29

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS

[for each player, in order pm received]

@jonsie:

A1 correct - awarded star; A2 correct - awarded star; A3 correct - awarded star; A4 correct - awarded star; A5 correct - awarded star; A6 correct - awarded star; A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star; plus, for correct answer to all 8 questions, awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER

@Cleoriff 

A1 correct - awarded star; A2 correct - awarded star; A3 correct - awarded star; A4 correct - awarded star; A5 correct - awarded star; A6 correct - awarded star; A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star; plus, for correct answer to all 8 questions, awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER

@MI5 

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER

@gmarkj 

A1 correct - awarded star; A2 correct - awarded star; A3 correct - awarded star; A4 Dog [Husky] incorrect; A5 Balls - incorrect; A6 no answer; A7 no answer; A8 no answer. Total - awarded 3 star

@pgn 

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER

@Anonymous 

A1 some African country - incorrect; A2 correct - awarded star; A3 correct - awarded star; A4 dog - incorrect; A5 testicles - incorrect; A6 Hyacinth Bouquet - incorrect; A7 The Bandit in the Pub - incorrect; A8 correct - awarded star Total - awarded 3 star

Congratulations and well done to all the players:

silver-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER - @jonsie ; @Cleoriff ; @MI5 ; @pgn 

star star star@gmarkj ; @Anonymous 

Thank you everyone for playing and I hope you enjoyed this week`s quiz...

Over the weekend, I will choose eight questions - one question from each of the following categories -

PEOPLE; GEOGRAPHY; NATURE; WORDS; LITERATURE; SPORT; ART [new category]; EVENTS

The WHITE ROOM THURSDAY QUIZ will be open to all members.

The questions will be posted on Wed 29 Jan - with answers pm`d to me on Thursday 30 Jan...

I hope all the "regulars", those who usually play or have played in the past, new members, or those who have never played before, will join in and play next week...   

Thank you to everyone who has helped make the quiz so popular

@Mi-Amigo 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 22 of 29

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Blimey, 4 silver thinkers. Well done one and all heart

Special thanks to @Anonymous who made me giggle with the answer 'testicles'. Just thinking of someone going around collecting testicles. LOL

You rock Jane Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Well done everyone, it was good fun slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 29

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Super answers, especially @Anonymous's "test tickle" one 🤣

Roman names featured in our pub quiz this week - we got the answer wrong (overthought it) for the Mare Nostrum, so had had a big debate ( = argument!) about it. Slippy lot, those Romans ! 😂

Well done all, and thanks, @Mi-Amigo!
Message 25 of 29

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not shocked by my score but i was suckered by the QI question.
Well done to all the silver thinkers and thanks to @Mi-Amigo for hosting.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff   @pgn  @jonsie thank you for saying that I Rock *titters*

Well done all for taking part and those being Silver Thinkers

As ever, many thanks to @Mi-Amigo for compiling the quiz

Message 28 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj we were awarded star starstar

My highest score smiling