The White Room Quiz - Golden Thinker Challenge

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome everyone to a very special edition of the

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Rather than a contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT , the two contestants - @Cleoriff and @pgn - who have both won the SILVER THINKER AWARD will face the GOLDEN THINKER CHALLENGE.

Each of them will attempt to answer the same TEN questions.

The TEN QUESTIONS

Q1 [history]: Which of his six wives was Henry VIII married to the longest?

Q2 [people]: Who invented the pneumatic tyre?

Q3 [geography}: In which state or territory in Australia is Ayres Rock [more correctly called Uluru]?

Q4 [literature]: Which Shakespeare play features the line "All that glisters is not gold"?

Q5 [sport - Olympics]: Which event, introduced and only held at the 1908 Olympics, had only competitors from one country and the singles final was never contested?

Q6 [nature]: Where was the first menagerie in England introduced?

Q7 [science]: What does a venturi meter measure?

Q8 [music - not The Beatles]: Who were Woglinde, Wellgunde, and Flosshinde?

Q9 [TV sitcoms]: What were the first names of the original two girl characters in the Carla Lane TV sit-com The Liver Birds first screened in 1969?

Q10 [space]: What was the name of the lunar module [LM] which acted as a lifecraft for the crew of Apollo13 and brought them back to Earth in 1969? 

Rules:

You must pm the ten answers to me [MI-Amigo] and not post them on the thread.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several post; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 24 Oct 2019.

You may only give one answer to any questions. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 24 October [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 25 October 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all TEN questions correct, you will be awarded the GOLDEN THINKER

gold-thinker-crop3.jpg

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you and good luck - @Cleoriff and @pgn 

You may, if you wish, post your reactions to the questions, but please do not post any answers.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Mi-Amigo
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Thanks for playing along. Sorry you didn`t get any right this week but they were more difficult than usual.

@jonsie 

You`re right about getting the grey matter working - as I find when reseraching the questions.

@gmarkj 

Two correct isn`t too bad, especially as one was the meter and some have foundphysics-style questions hard.

I hope all of you might find the categories and questions a little easier next week and will play along.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

I hope all of you might find the categories and questions a little easier next week and will play along.

Watch out, watch out, there's an @EmilieT about, the chooser of the competitor each week... innocent

Message 32 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Watch out, watch out, there's an @EmilieT about, the chooser of the competitor each week... innocent

Yes but she has no idea what the questions are... and does play along [although she hasn`t said how she got on with the Golden Thinker Challenge]...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Re the meter question, I would never have got that normally.

As I said in my PM to @Mi-Amigo I was lucky it was a quiz question asked a couple of years ago. As I recall, only a few got it correct. My team wasn't one of them!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Experience of pitot tubes on aircraft and hand fire extinguishers are where I encountered the venturi effect. And flit pumps, if you remember them.

326.jpg

Message 35 of 36

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@pgn joy

@Mi-Amigo I didn't do good at all ... but learned a lot nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 36 of 36