The Virtual Lounge

blissgirl
Level 35: Originator
  • 8108 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Anyone here ? relieved

[Please see related discussion about "The Virtual Lounge" here]

iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink & Apple watch series 9 pink (Celluar all with Vodafone slight_smile
Message 4 of 11,901
11,900 REPLIES 11,900

RunrigForever
Level 20: Radiant
  • 2681 Posts
  • 37 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

I like some of the items in the link you posted

Didn't realise Argos did furniture

Flatpack would be better - give my good friend something to do

The beech would be ok, rather than white

Will quietly away see the caretaker of the complex on Monday if I can as regards large wagons up in a  very narrow road countryfied area.

remember when Argos first appeared on the scene, they were quite innovative.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 11581 of 11,901

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

With Argos, you have to choose item and then put your friends postcode in. That will show the stock levels and delivery or collection options.

Argos will know, via their sat navs what the access is via his road.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11582 of 11,901

RunrigForever
Level 20: Radiant
  • 2681 Posts
  • 37 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much @Cleoriff 

***DESORMAIS***
Message 11583 of 11,901

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

Homebase is another such outlet, if you find Argos is not quite up to your requirements. Think they are, or were, part of the same parent company.

Message 11584 of 11,901

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

It never rains but it pours in this household!

Eldest son in Goa for past 4 weeks. SHOULD have flown back yesterday. Flight from Goa to Mumbai is delayed by 4hrs. Gets to Mumbai and the gates have closed for connecting flight to Qatar. He has no money at all. Air India refuse to help as 'the flights weren't booked with them'!!

He can't use his phone as his tariff has run out. Luckily a airline operative logs him into the staff Wifi so he can contact us via Messenger.

We check one way flights and the cheapest is a direct one,  leaving from Mumbai to Heathrow.

However, we can't put the money in HIS bank as his overdraft is to the limit and any money going in would be swallowed up in overdraft!

So we had to give him our card details and he booked  flight online.

He has a Victoria Coach ticket but not allowed to change that to Heathrow. So his dad is driving down to pick him up from Heathrow at 7pm.

Just tell me why I ever thought having kids was a good idea??!!😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11585 of 11,901

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

The travel saga with No #1 son continued.

Reaching Heathrow via his flight, pilot informs them due to adverse weather conditions (fog) they are flying to land in Amsterdam!

Thats bad enough but husband had driven to Heathrow to pick him up. Luckily has the flight app on his phone so can see what's happened. Passengers are allowed to use phone so son calls us to confirm the plane is on it's way to Amsterdam.

My husband returns from drive to Heathrow and 10 mins later son calls again to say plane is now leaving Amsterdam en-route to Heathrow.!!

He has a National express ticket to Coventry but that was from  Stansted. Again, they wont accept change of airport. So he has to check prices from Heathrow and the fast journey is £40.80p. He has £40 only in his pocket.

We tell him to use his Dads card details (AGAIN) to book a seat on the coach. However, he has to wait to make sure this Flight back to Heathrow lands on time to get him to National Express coach centre. He lands at 23.00. Coach back is 00.20. Gets his luggage then books ticket. Makes his way to coach station. No transport there but coach arrives 10 mins late. Ray sets off again at 1.45am to pick him up from Coventry. Reunited at last.

So his month in Goa has cost US a total of £400 to get him home.

All because the flight from Goa was delayed by 4 hrs and Air India were NOT prepared to help.

I said I hoped he'd enjoyed his cheap holiday, because we wont be available to sort him out again.

Oh and Happy Christmas eldest son, the money we spent ....was your Christmas present!! 😂

What a weekend for him and us!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11586 of 11,901

pgn
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

@Cleoriff - as the say: if you've time to spare, go by air 🤣 

Hope he had a great time in Goa, delays on return notwithstanding.

Message 11587 of 11,901

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

He had a wonderful time in Goa @pgn 

However, as he should have been home on the 1st and it was the 3rd when he put the key in his front door, he now has to face the consequences of a trip which should never have happened.

I've done some daft things in my life but never taken a trip abroad without a bank full of 'contingency' money. If I was up to an overdraft, we just wouldnt have gone.

The closest we came to a holiday money disaster was when we drove to the South of France for a caravan holiday. We swapped cars with my dad as our Triumph Stag would not hold 2 adults, two kids and all the luggage we needed. Dad had an Austin Princess. Prior to dad buying it it had one lady owner.

Everything that could go wrong with his car, went wrong. 2 punctures and no spare wheel. Windscreen wiper failure, something else electrical, so this took a big chunk of our spending money.

Coming home, something went engine wise. No idea what but he could only get 3 gears and the engine was blowing out a lot of smoke. Took us twice as long to get home and I was worried sick about Dads car. However, he was so embarrassed that the car had given us so much trouble and praised Ray for managing to drive the damn thing home. Cost Dad £400 to sort out the issues. A lot of money 40 years ago.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11588 of 11,901

pgn
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

Sounds like he loves living life at the edge 🤣

When I was younger, the family, youngest aged barely 6 weeks, took a car belonging to a work colleague of my Dad's, back to the UK - it must have been in July. Ferry to Italy, train and "motorail" to Milan, then drive through Switzerland, France and across the channel on the hovercraft...  When we collected the car in Milan, it appears all the fuel in it had been syphoned somewhere near Naples, so the car had had to be pushed off the train late on a hot night in Milan. We got on our way, heading off under the Alps towards France, staying overnight in Switzerland somewhere. As we travelled into France the next day, the youngest started to develop a rash - so we legged it to the Hoverport in France, to get across to England and take the child to see a doctor late at night somewhere in Kent. I think it was nothing too serious, thankfully, and we continued to relatives near London, where we stayed a few days before carrying on with the car up to Scotland and across to Ireland where it was sold and the owner was sent his money.  Heyho - cars and long journeys, eh, @Cleoriff 

Message 11589 of 11,901

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

Even cars on short journeys @pgn 

When we swapped cars, My Dad had our Royal Blue Triumph Stag. He worked for Massey Ferguson on nights. When he drove home in the morning he used to take a short cut through the back of the local hospital (for ambulances only) Twice he was stopped by police and warned about this short cut.

The second time he was stopped the police officer said, 'don't try this again Mr O******, When you drive a car as noticeable as this one, you WILL be seen and you WILL be stopped' 😂

Incidentally the Stag became very costly to keep on the road and we had to sell it for a pittance. When we next saw it (in the 80's) it took pride of place in a Classic Car Convention. Totally renovated and refurbished, it was only recognised by the number plate. We spoke to the guy who bought it, telling him it used to belong to us.

He jokingly told us we could buy it back if we had the money. He named a price which was £6000 more than the Spanish apartment we had just bought!!

Via It's reg, we kept track of it until we found out it had been sold in the US for some ridiculous amount of money. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11590 of 11,901