Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2019

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

A little early to start this thread, although the new judge to replace Darcey Bussell has been announced

It's Motsi Mabuse (sister of Oti Mabusi)

Motsi Mabuse, elder sister of Strictly Come Dancing star Oti, has been named as Dame Darcey Bussell's replacement on the BBC One show's judging panel.

Originally from South Africa, Motsi is a former South African champion and German Latin champion and a judge on Strictly Come Dancing's German version.

Mabuse, 38, said she was "absolutely overjoyed" to be joining the panel and hoped to "add her own bit of sparkle".

Motsi Mabuse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49075803

I don't doubt her credentials at all but can't help wondering how this will work as Oti is still appearing on the show?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 252
251 REPLIES 251

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

So the number of Strictly community viewers has now halved....Whistle

Yes... well last year we did have Glory and @Anonymous posting as well cry

I miss Gloria slight_frown

I fell asleep both the last 2 weeks = my bad

Message 152 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

A bit late with this (as I will be recording it)and watching F1...

🎃🎃👻Halloween Week Songs and Dances👻🎃🎃

Alex and Neil dance a Couple's Choice (Street/Commercial) to Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.

Catherine and Johannes Cha ChaCha to Scared Of The Dark by Steps

Chris and Karen Samba to Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) by Backstreet Boys

Emma and Anton Tango to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach

Emma and Aljaz Charleston to A Little Party Never Killed Nobody by Fergie feat. Q-Tip and GoonRock

Karim and Amy Paso Doble to Smalltown by Boy Bronski Beat

Kelvin and Oti Tango to Bad Guy by Billie Eilish

Michelle and Giovanni Foxtrot to the Addams Family theme by Vic Mizzy

Mike and Katya Tango to What You Waiting For by Gwen Stefani

Saffron and AJ Jive to Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police

Will and Janette Jive to Casper by Little Richard

I will be commenting later. Over to you @sheepdog rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 153 of 252

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Some good music tonight, I'm particularly looking forward to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach tongue_closed

Message 154 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Some good music tonight, I'm particularly looking forward to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach tongue_closed

joy Well I will be listening to the cars skidding off the tracks in F1 qualifying. It's been like that all weekend @jonsie 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 155 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So opening routine was actually quite good fun. Could my view of hating this particular week be changed? Tinsel as a cave woman hmmmm wink Shirley Ballas looks rather hot tonight in Morticia mode. Bruno’s token gesture again for the theme was a spider thing instead of a tie. Claudia didn’t bother either and looked good for a change in a dress that fitted. Tess’s minimum wage wardrobe assistant made a half hearted effort this week for the theme.

A few injuries so no Neil with Kevin standing in literally at the last minute.  No Will & Janette due to knee injury jumping off a table in rehearsal. Gets a bye to next week but may struggle.

Emma B: ok but Motsi is right in saying she needs more in her execution. Good tune though.

Emma W: Very good and Craig was wrong. Goofy dance? It’s not always but guessing being a theme week, his expectation was probably different. Very safe for weeks if she keeps on going like this.

Chris R: this weeks automatic nominee for the dance-off:  wrong music, wrong dance, wrong costume but he did well in his own enthusiastic way. 

Saffron: second candidate for wrong music….typical AJ routine spinning and pulling disguising flaws… Lost timing a few times so routine came across flat especially with the music mis-match to the dance. Definite Craig’s favourite as he never gave any criticism when there were many errors. Well overmarked.

Mike B: umm, how can I describe it? Think Mick Jagger chicken strut.  May be enough to save him in a dance-off against Chris Ramsey.  Also: since when did Alice in Wonderland become part of Halloween? Rabbit ears, seriously? Still an improvement on last week's outfit.

These cheesy VT’s and puns are terrible. And yet someone is being paid for this?

Karim: the high waisted trousers probably the worst part of the dance. However still needs to be less sharp or he might not make the last couple of weeks. As in he’s not exactly showing signs of progress even though he’s one of the best this year.  The Stranger Things theme and music was perfect but unless you’ve seen the show, you’d wonder who they were.

Tinsel: hey Mr Voiceover, thats my line 😉

Good routine and better than last week. Johannes is rather good though which distracts you from her errors. Is she progressing though? May be in the dance-off in the next 3 weeks. Oh it was a Steps tune originally? My thats a surprise addition to my youtube random playlist.

Michelle: Moritcia? Sure it wasn’t Cher? Another walkie routine. I still can’t warm to her but can’t really fault her this week. Ten’s? Er no.

Kelvin: Did you know Oti is sponsored by specsavers. Really. She’s on the cover of this months Specsaver magazine: https://loveglasses.specsavers.co.uk/oti-mabuse

And the dance, go watch it on iplayer and enjoy it. How it got less than Michelle’s walkie…

Ah so thats what a Billie Ellish tune sounds like. Not bad but I don’t think I’ll be scouring youtube for it. 

Alex Scott: Woah. Non-halloween VT from Alex Scott? Nice. But unfortunately due to Kevin not having a clue, it didn’t come off as he was following Alex (he rightly acknowleged that at the end). She did well and confidence continues on from last week. Given the circumstances, it would be grossly unjust to be in the dance-off. Overmarked intentionally by the judges to compensate but third place at this point is safe from the lack of public votes.

Oh and Nadiya in short black wig dressed as an egyptian. Yeah I’ll consider it a good show tonight heart_eyes

Hate to say it but Chris Ramsey may be leaving this week if he gets Mike B in the dance-off. Time to tactically vote online….

Message 156 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

Just catching up and whipping through the nonsense filler.

I do have to start off by asking if the BBC have had wardrobe cuts? I love Halloween week and the costumes I've seen so far are pathetic. Saffron and Aj. Nothing to do with Halloween. Nor Mike and Katya. (when did Alice in Wonderland become a Halloween theme? Unless you think of the Johnny Depp version. )

Onto the dancing.

Emma B and Anton. Tango Did better than last week Scored 28 (good costume though)

Emma and Aljaz. Enjoyed their Charleston. Scored 30

Chris and Karen. What were they wearing? A samba which was poor. Scored 23

Saffron and AJ. A jive and I agree @sheepdog ...certainly seems to be judges favourite and yes her timing was out. Scored 33 and OVERMARKED

Mike and Katya. Tango and was poor all round. Scored 26

Karim and Amy. I thought it was a good Paso, though as I have never watched Stranger Things I couldnt get my head round the outfit . Scored 29 and deserved more.

Catherine and Johannes. Cha Cha. Such a shame as I am willing her to do well, Sadly she didn't.  Scored 24

Michelle and Giovanni. Foxtrot. Dressed the part. Danced ok but no way did did they deserve 3 10's!! Scored 39!!

Kelvin and Oti. An absolutely brilliant tango. Best of the night for me. How on earth did they score less than Michelle. Ridiculous. Scored 36. (Is Motsi afraid to give her sister high marks?!)

Also superb costumes. Made a change.

Alex and Kevin (who stood in for an injured Neil) Couples choice. I agree Kevin didn't do his best tonight..though I suppose it was a challenge to step in at short notice. Alex really carried that dance Scored 34

I'm sure Mike will be in the dance off ...though not sure who else?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 157 of 252

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So the results are in... But first the show itself. Following on from last weeks intro, this week reverted to type and featured lots of dancers jumping around Giovanni in chains. Lets just say the Britney Spears Toxic was a pretty good cover.

Moving on, Tess's MWWA seems to channelling angry woman with scissors. Probably the worst outfit this series held together by a thread.

Paraphrasing Claudia: the fantastically awful Adam Lambert. Worse and a fatal mistake, was having his own dancers on podiums. Which as you can expect wasn't even distraction from the tune and were thankfully avoided by the BBC cameras focussing on AL. No pro-dance pop up which is good because the song was utterly un-danceable and well, he hasn't raised the bar of musical guests this series. Goodness knows what the audience thought of it up close. He reminds me of George Michael in his latter years without the back catalogue and less talent.

Next week: Emilie Sande attempts to impress me. Score so far: Cat videos 6 Strictly Musical guests 0.

So onto the dance-off. Surprisingly, Chris Ramsey got saved from being in the dance-off so we ended up with Mike B and Tinsel. A bit too close to call on who did best but it was Shirley's token week of having the casting vote, she made the poor choice of saving Mike B sending Tinsel home. Hopefully we'll have Johannes back for next year.

Message 158 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

I loved the opening number, very dramatic. Adam Lambert was pretty good as well

So it's Mike and Katya in the dance off again. Along with Catherine and Johannes (boo!!)

In fairness, Mike performed better than last night (although he still looked stupid in that outfit)

Catherine performed better as well.

Craig voted to save Mike. Motsi and Bruno voted for Catherine. Shirley with the casting vote saved Mike and Katya.

I've never liked Shirley rofl

Very emotional at the end. cry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 159 of 252

Cleoriff
  • 123667 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7483 Solutions

PS @sheepdog 

I'm so pleased we differed on opinion of the opening dance and Adam Lambert. rofl

(I do think he is so much better with Queen singing iconic songs, I will admit to that)

Emilie Sande never impresses me, so I don't expect anything much from her!)

Again I will be watching F1 next week...which is in the Circuit Of The Americas...so same time as Mexico.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 160 of 252