Did you mean: 

Strictly Come Dancing 2017

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

It's that time of year again....Some love it and others hate it.... Dance

However, BBC have announced the first 'celebrity' to join the line up for Strictly Come Dancing 2017.

It's Mollie King from the girl band The Saturdays (Frankie Bridge from the same group appeared in 2014)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/6525d4c5-3e53-4546-b336-45ebae3cf879?ns_mchan...

Mollie King....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 738
737 REPLIES 737

Cleoriff
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Apologies for the glaring error.. I should have said WEEK 10!!

I am concerned about Gemma and Aljaz. Their music choice for a samba is hardly 'party time'.

Whereas Debbie and Giovanni have great music for their Argentine Tango...

I'm a bit biased I know and wishing Gemma well... though I get a feeling this could be her danger week..:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 531 of 738

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3319 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Interesting choices this week but here's my thoughts after a youtube session late last night which ended up with a few rave tunes from the early 90s' heart_eyes (quoting Cleoriff's post)

• Alexandra and Gorka are going to be dancing the Rumba to Halo by Beyoncé

Um, this song takes about a minute before it gets started! Then another minute before it gets to the best part. Like the song but guessing it will be hacked to fit in 90 seconds (or is it 2 now?) .Top 3 on the night without a doubt unless she really does mess it up. 

• Debbie and Giovanni will dance the Argentine Tango to Por Una Cabeza by Carlos Gardel and Alfredo Le Pera

Yep, probably the best tune and its up to them to outdo Alexandra's AT. Either the best of the night or disappointing considering her ability and our expectations. She's had a couple of poor Saturdays so this is her week to get back up the top and show she's deserving of the marks instead of relying on the obvious favouritism. Public vote may be against her if she gets high marks and has more mistakes.

• Gemma and Aljaž will Samba to The River of Dreams by Billy Joel

Um, first thought was the same thats not samba music. But here's the interesting part, go on Youtube, select Settings on the Billy Joel video and select 1.25 speed. Then, its more samba like. Dance off contender in reality if she doesn't tighten up. 

• Mollie and AJ will perform the Quickstep to The Baseballs’ version of Umbrella by Rihanna

Ha. Check out The Baseballs stuff on Youtube. Never heard of them before but a fantastic cover version that isn't as annoying as Rhianna's. Out-field choice of a tune (I love cover versions in a totally different style that questions the original) and looking forward to this one. Safe if she pulls it off without boring us by being too safe. Or am I hinting that AJ is a touch unimaginative.

• Susan and Kevin will dance the American Smooth to Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin

Done to death this tune so should mark her exit as this should be extremely flat in the studio after Blackpool as its too familiar and probably should have been done last week. Not just her but all of them but the others have stronger music. Cue waving arms around the floor big time as expected. No wait, thats waving arms and walking around the floor grandiose style. Saving energy for the paso thing 😉 

• Davood and Nadiya will Waltz to With You I’m Born Again by Billy Preston and Syreeta Wright

Nadiya is the one I'm looking forward too. I'd say its his week to say he's a top 4 contender or the dance-off beckons. Keeping it simple is the key in the Waltz for the judges. Can't say I'm looking forward to the singers screeching through this one though. Really want to see him through to see his Argentine Tango as he's got a hint of Mark Rampakash about him.

• Joe and Katya will Quickstep to Jumpin’ Jack by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Very good choice of music here, would say Katya is going all out with her choreography to make sure they are safe. And should be an improvement on last week's slightly chaotic routine. 

Message 532 of 738

Cleoriff
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Reading your post and great research @sheepdog, they really should call the music...'Songs as you have never heard them before'.....Dance

What grieves me is Susan at her best, is never as good as Gemma or Mollie at their worst. It will be more than annoying if her fan base votes keep her safe again this week. Should she get into the DO... she will be gone.

I just have an awful feeling.......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 533 of 738

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

It will be more than annoying if her fan base votes keep her safe again this week.

You mean Scotland ?......she was practically unknown south of the border until SCD. Perhaps the BBC Publicity dept. has a hand in this......Beenherebefore in conspiracy mode (acknowledges sheepdog)

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 534 of 738

Cleoriff
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

It will be more than annoying if her fan base votes keep her safe again this week.

You mean Scotland ?......she was practically unknown south of the border until SCD. Perhaps the BBC Publicity dept. has a hand in this......Beenherebefore in conspiracy mode (acknowledges sheepdog)

Blimey two conspiracy theorists....be still my beating heart...LOL heart_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 535 of 738

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Ok @Cleoriff here's a third she's now hosting a new show on the BBC. From what I've read a poor man's Cluedo. The BBC are really pushing her into the spotlight. I'd never heard of her before the Boss - a rubbish game show.

She really is past her sell by date on Strictly. Time for her to be off 👎
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 536 of 738

Cleoriff
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Ok @Cleoriff here's a third she's now hosting a new show on the BBC. From what I've read a poor man's Cluedo. The BBC are really pushing her into the spotlight. I'd never heard of her before the Boss - a rubbish game show.

The programme is called Armchair Detectives..( I have just looked it up) Apparently she used to be a lawyer before she turned to comedy......She should stick to one or the other...She certainly has no future in dancing..Meow,....Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 537 of 738

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

The programme is called Armchair Detectives..( I have just looked it up) Apparently she used to be a lawyer before she turned to comedy......She should stick to one or the other...She certainly has no future in dancing..Meow,....Cat

LOL

Message 538 of 738

Cleoriff
  • 125924 Posts
  • 847 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Well what a night....

Susan please be in the dance off....it will be a travesty if you aren't devil

Joe and Katya were absolutely superb. Both the Quickstep and Paso Doble-thon..

Debbie and Giovanni .Excellent Argentine Tango. All the moves I needed to see..

Davood and Nadiya. What a beautiful waltz...Definitely a contender for the final

Gemma and Aljaz....what a shame. My favourite couple but it wasn't a party Samba

Mollie and AJ..really raised their game. Great Quickstep

Alex and Gorka. Mmmmm...Good enough but a few mistakes. I think she was overmarked

Dance off could be a shock. I hope to god it isn't. I really want Gemma to stay...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 539 of 738

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Brava Debbie and Giovanni, superb Argentine tango - just the way I like it. Debbie's legs and those splits as Craig would say A-mazing.

Joe's quickstep and Davood's waltz, both superb. And Mollie impressed me; what an improvement. Definitely not boring tonight.

Gemma disappointing. As was Alexandra from whom I expected a lot more. And was it me or was Alexandra gritting her teeth at the criticism. I got the impression she was none too happy at what the judges had to say. Should have done a better samba then 😛

Susan, oh dear what a mess. Great routine spoiled by Susan's lack of anything remotely resembling dance moves. If she's not in the dance-off there is no justice ☹

And you're right @Cleoriff the dance-off could be a shock. I expect Alexandra to be in it and hope for Susan.

Message 540 of 738