Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

sheepdog
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So this is me praising Motsi again for her style for the 3rd week in a row? Tess needs a new stylist as the colours she's wearing this year are not flattering to her. Claudia, mix n match of black and white. Not bad. Fortunately the producers have appealed to my nature and put Nadiya to the left of Claudia in every shot  on the balcony every week so I pay no attention to Claudia now 😍

Anyway, as expected, this show was indeed a good one with one particular standout (not Layton) and the judges being extra picky. The family card was played by a few. 

Annabel and Johannes: Solid opener. Getting the performance bit is still not quite there but technique wise, she's pretty good every week. Scored 27. 

Nigel and Katya: Good routine but shades of bum-clenching in hold. Recovered well after the Karen kick. Score of 29.

Eddie and Karen: Hmm. Got away with a lot not having to be in-hold. Ok but not exactly good compared to the previous two celebs tonight. Not a great score of 24. 

Krishnan and Lauren: I did say this one would be a good one for him and it was. Very enjoyable! Of course some issues and really needs to avoid Lauren prompting him as its becoming obvious. 30 is a fair reflection I think compared to the previous 4 so far. 

Angela S and Carlos: Far better than last week. Judges were spot on in saying she needs to be more graceful/relaxed/less rushed. However, she's one of the best in covering the dance floor. Not a bad score with 28 but again, the wrong side of the leader board. 

Ellie and Vito: Let's give credit the DAO and the remixer for doing a damn fine job on this one to make it fit a paso by omitting all the words to a single line till the end. The sight of Dave Arch rapidly pressing the same chords on his keyboard amused me no end 😂 Oh the dance? Wow. This just worked perfectly with the music beyond my expectations. 37 was a touch low in my opinion.

Layton and Nikita: Salsa or Couples Choice? More the latter. Didn't particularly feel it was that good and disagree with the judges saying it was in perfect synchronisation when it clearly wasn't. Overmarked as usual. I'm just wondering if he'd been partnered with a female pro, he'd be more controlled and less prone to exaggerate every move. Needless to say, 39 was overmarked.

Bobby and Dianne: There's a difference between Bobby and Layton as there's a more natural flow to Bobby's dance. He did mess up the last section with the fleckle but overall, very well done. Scored 32 which makes him easily safe. 

Adam and Luba: Lack of content and repetitive moves but hey, if you carry it out with that much confidence and enthusiasm, I'm not complaining! Scored the same as Bobby, 32.

Zara and Graziano: A step forward and a step back. Good in places and needs to take some hints from Angela S. on how to use the floor. Could do with extending her movements too. Scored 28 which puts her in a precarious position.  

Angela R and Kai: We already predicted what this would be like and it was exactly like that.  Plus there was a distinct lack of any movement and content which meant the judges gave her bonus marks for no reason. Sigh. 34 is a ridiculous score let alone it being the show closer. Actually, it's scandalous. 

So my preferred choice of Angela R and Layton won't be in the dance-off so its likely to be between Zara, Annabel and Eddie. Out of the three, Annabel is the stronger one so its not looking good for Zara or Eddie. Couldn't pick between those two in the dance-off either. 

Message 81 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126403 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

As said Amanda and Giovanni given a bye as Amanda ill.

Flipped through this tonight (due to F1), just watched dances and scores.

Annabal and Johannes. Charleston.

A few mistakes and a bit placed No swivels. Scored 27

Nigel and Katya. Foxtrot.

A nice dance, despite Nigel kicking her foot which sent him out of sync. Scored 29

Eddie and Karen,  Samba

Oh dear, how disappointing  No real flow for a samba. Thought it would suit him being out of hold. Scored 24

Krishnan and Lauren. Quickstep

Really classy dance. He didn't count, just sang. Well done Scored 30

Angela and Carlos.  American Smooth.

It was ok but the finish was unfinished!! More comments about her breathing Scored 28

Ellie and Vito. Paso Doble.

Wow, wow, wow!! On a different level.

Just superb. DAO did pretty damn well with that awful song. Scored 37 (undermarked)

Layton and Nikita. Salsa

Was it a salsa?

Obviously the judges favourite and totally overmarked Not worth a 10 let alone 3 10's FGS!! Scored 39

Bobby and Dianne. Viennese Waltz.

I thought this was damn good. One little mistake. Good posture Scored 32

Adam and Luba. Couples Choice.

Loved this. Very emotional. Scored 32

Zara and Graziano. American Smooth

Did OK but too many lifts in my opinion Scored 28

Angela and  Kai. Argentine Tango.

It was ok but dumbed down by Kai. Judges "We are all in awe" NO I'm Not! Scored 34. (Judges ensuring she isn't in bottom two- overmarked as usual)

Tomorrow sounds interesting. Bastille and Planet Earth 3

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 82 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Ah yes, had to go and watch the rugby so forgot to mention the Musical Monstrosity Mash-up. I was thinking, that sounds remarkably like one of the sci-fi B-movies on Amazon Prime watchlist but turns out its the soundtrack to the Planet Earth 3 program that's on beforehand. 

Can't say I'm impressed by the singing on it...

Message 83 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126403 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Ah yes, had to go and watch the rugby so forgot to mention the Musical Monstrosity Mash-up. I was thinking, that sounds remarkably like one of the sci-fi B-movies on Amazon Prime watchlist but turns out its the soundtrack to the Planet Earth 3 program that's on beforehand. 

Can't say I'm impressed by the singing on it...

Oh dear, Haven't heard it @sheepdog but I was so looking forward to it. 😂

Oh well the race starts at 8pm tomorrow and I will be watching the pre-race show.

I'm told Brad Pitt is there. He's making/starring in a F1 movie. Quite funny really as I've never known any F1 driver still racing age 53. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 84 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So after yesterdays rather tv packed day of sport and strictly, saturdays tonights results show brought us an opening routine blatantly inspired by Bob Fosse. Choreographed by Jason Gilkerson and for once, it wasn't bad. Music wasn't great for it.

Did you know you can dress like Tess and Claudia for a bargain price? Well, and you can thank the algorithms for popping up on my searches for new cat video's, here's a breakdown on how much they pay and from whom plus links to the clearance section in certain clothes sites. Why you'd want to dress like Tess or Claudia is another question I don't particularly want answering. 

Anyway, the Musical Mashup Monstrosity ending up being just that. I rather like the original Pompeii by Bastille but this version was so far apart that it would have been better just to drop Bastille and give us the orchestra.  As for the Planet Earth 3 part, well that really was pathetic and just a token gesture on the video screens at the back. Not saying it was bad but not the mashup I was expecting. 

Onto the dance-off and it was Eddie v Zara. I thought Zara was worse this time and thought the judges would see that. But no, they kicked out Eddie. I'll just refer back to page 1 where I said "gone before his time".

Next week is Halloween week so anybody want to take a guess to who gets the green paint? Please say Angela Rippon. Please 🤣

Message 85 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126403 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I have the new series of Planet Earth recorded and yet to watch it. However @sheepdog I was so disappointed with Bastille. I don't think they did the wonderful Planet Earth any favours.

So Eddie and Kara in dance off.

I honestly don't think  Karen has been on it this season, must be the break up of her marriage as she's better than this.

I also disagree with judges saving Zara.

As for Halloween which I love, I expect Angela will be steered away from any green.

About time she did a jive!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 86 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126403 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Just to add, it's Mexico F1 next week so again another late start. SCD will be recorded and I'll get to it when I can.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 87 of 178

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff @RunrigForever

Seems Amanda Abbingdon has now officially left the show: BBC Link

Various rumours to why and even the BBC are hinting at a Will Young type of issue. Either way, there's no point in speculating to the exact reason as I'm sure she'll reveal it when she wants. A great shame really.

Also: Angela Rippon as Wicked Witch of the West? Hint the green paint and a tune from the musical Wicked is my choice. If that happens, you read it here first 🤣

Message 88 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126403 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@sheepdog 

What a shame. I thought she was hinting at depression as she posted a pic of Robin Williams?

Still, a real pity. Best of luck Amanda, xx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 89 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2917 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff & @sheepdog for the mentions

I can't promise to watch SCD Saturday or Sunday ... however, I did see a little of Angela R's and Kai's Argentine Tango then switched over to something else on my phone ... no sensuality & not much body contact ... dim lighting.

I am not getting much joy from the programme, but do like your write-ups xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 90 of 178