Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2913 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for tagging me @sheepdog ..... always interesting to know 'your take on things' ... & ... @Cleoriff , of course ... looking forward to Jody's pasa doble to a heavy metal ... ? song ... Will be watching SCD on Saturday night ... I haven't bothered with 'It Takes Two' yet ... generally it spoils the live weekend show for me ... I have watched it in the past ... but ... Zoe Ball - No Thanks ... what my mum called her wouldn't wouldn't get past The Censor.

KEEP DANCING !

***DESORMAIS***
Message 41 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Mmmmm... I'm sure Angela R will do much better at the Foxtrot (as difficult as it can be). Kai will make sure it's an easy version. I just hope there is no manipulation of the marks like last week!

Thunderstruck? Not a song I would have chosen for the Paso.
Layton.....no  doubt another OTT performance from him. Needs to forget his previous dance experience.

Les? A killer of a dance for any male, let alone him.
Khishnan. Maybe the other dance off candidate?

I think the others will be safe.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Bobby and Dianne Charleston

Good opening  dance Great barrel roll Scored 29

Annabe. and Johannes Quickstep

A bit tense, some gapping Scored 22

Jody and Jowita. Paso Doble

Terrible music. Poor dance Scored 16

Ellie and Vito Foxtrot

A beautiful dance Scored 31

Nigel and Katya. V. Waltz

A few footwork errors. Although enjoyed it Scored 27

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Nikita and Gorka  Charleston

Quite poor. Surprised really Scored 18

Les and Nancy. Terrible Scored 15

Adam and Luba. Tango. Good in parts. Some syncing issues Scored23

Amanda and Giovanni  Salsa.

Wow, just wow. Superb Scored 32

Khrishnan and Lauren Foxtrot.

Too many mistakes to mention Scored 20

Eddie and Karen Cha Cha Cha.

Bit of a mish mash of dances. Not a real Cha Cha Cha Scored 21

Zara and Graziano. Quickstep.

Not a bad dance really Scored 23

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Angela S and Carlos. Jive

What a great jive and  excellent footwork Scored 29 (undermarked)

Angela R and Kai. Foxtrot.

A good simple Foxtrot. Scored 31 (overmarked)

Layton and Nikita. Quickstep

Very OTT but a great dance. Scored 36.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So Tess has decided she wants to explore her masculine side of fashion? Claudia in pink yet blended into the background so much you just saw her black hair moving around. Motsi in some sort of zebra outfit but gets a green tick on the hairstyle. Oooh lots of Nadiya tonight 😍

A reappearance by Ed Balls for the phone vote scam though outshone by Katya re-enacting Gangnam Style completely oblivious to Ed Balls. 

Bobby Harry Styles: Being first, I was thinking "Boring Bobby" but no, he did well. A little ungainly but solid opener. Is it me or is Diane just boring me over the last couple of years?

Annabel: This was nice, all round just nice. 

Jody: Oh dear. Apart from the music which was awful, this was the Paso done by The Robot.

Ellie: This girl is so impressive. She's the standard everyone has to meet before she raises it even higher. 

Nigel: I almost disagreed with Shirley saying it wasn't a Viennese Waltz with the rise and fall/flats but then realised she was right. Nonetheless, a good dance. Along with Ellie, the acting skills really do shine. 

Nikita: Time to break out the electric blanket score setting. This left me cold and basically she walked through it. Heating level set to 7. Has to look at Ellie for what she brings to dance. 

Les: Its one of those moments in every series that has a really awful dance and destined for the dance-off. At least he didn't completely screw it up. Bye Les. 

Adam: Now we see he's got to work on timing as again he had sync issues. Lots of potential if he can get that sorted.

Amanda: Shirely Ballas Mk2 Ah now we have the series front runner. Bit concerned with her Haka stance that makes it look a bit un-ladylike. Happened last week and more noticeable this week. Otherwise another standard for others to aim for. If Shirley thinks her Rumba is going to be good, I reckon her Argentine Tango will be exceptional.

Khrishnan: Started well but marred by too many errors after 10 seconds. Fortunately for him, Les was worse but not next week. Did I pick up on what Motsi was hinting at and he's not putting in any hours of practice?

Eddie: I liked this dance. Kind of agree with the judges saying it wasn't clear enough for a cha-cha but then, how many favourites have gotten away with that in the past and been given high scores? 

Zara Tiktok:  Hmmn. Has the moves but have to turn the electric blanket to 6. Think she lacks the finesse of the acting celebs to pull off a great dance. Fixable but won't be enough if she meets one in the dance-off. 

Angela S: Woah. Was this not just awesome? Utterly relentless and non-stop moving. Also undermarked but she's a serious contender. 

Angela Ripping-up-the-dancefloor: Her best dance so far! And in a less sarcastic voice, it was a good dance though at some points, looked like she was going to snap in half being that stiff. I don't think she'll be in long enough to better this.

Layton: Electric blanket rating set to 9. Are we going to see a lot of out of hold "look at me" segments in every single dance till he gets to the final? The main problem with same-sex couples is who exactly is leading who? There were errors and overmarked.

Message 46 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2913 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff  & @sheepdog for your insight and comments above  ^   ^   ^   ........   you gave me a flavour of what went on in last night's show.

I was unfortunately suffering with a Humdinger of a Headache ... & ... chose not to leave being cosy / comfortable in my bedroom.

You both predicted the Awful Pasadoble to the music of AC / DC as played by the Dave Arch Orchestra ... ... ... ... ... XX ... slight_smile

DANCING BRINGS PEOPLE CLOSER TOGETHER = ROBIN COUSENS AT THE SOCHI WINTER OLYMPICS

***DESORMAIS***
Message 47 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Re Layton Williams. Very unfair advantage. Has a great background in Jazz, Tap and Ballet. Beyond the training in ballet, tap, and jazz, Williams has ventured into street dance. He has not only participated in dance competitions but has also clinched trophies.Has been in numerous West End Musicals. Took the lead in Billy Eliot. I do wish SCD would take more care when they pick contestants for this dance show. Due to his background I can see him in the show for the long haul!

https://coopwb.in/info/is-layton-williams-a-dancer/ 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 48 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

So a Tina medley at the start for the professionals...Alexandra Burke, Fleur East and someone else....

It was OK.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Dance Off

Nikita and Gorka

Les and Nancy.

Song by Georgia Smith. Totally unforgettable!

Less and Nancy voted off.

Next week: Movie Week.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 178