Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Song Lyrics Challenge

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25340 Posts
  • 830 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Between October 1962 and May 1970, The Beatles released 24 singles, 13 EPs, 13 Albums, with a total of 293 tracks.

THE SONG LYRICS CHALLENGE

To find the names of the people mentioned in the lyrics of the officially released records.

Hints/clues:

- not every song mentions a name in the lyrics.

- you have to find actual names - some first names, some surnames, some both - in the song lyrics

- lyrics may include a title or rank [e.g. if Miss Bloggs was in the lyrics, it would be included

- lyrics with only "a" or "the" not included [e.g. if "the Carpenter" was in lyrics, it would be excluded]

- some names are included in more than one song [not record]; you have to find all [in separate post]

- some songs include more than one name in lyrics; you have to find all the names [in separate post]

Rules:

- no googling/wiki/social media/playing song on iphone, smart phone, CD, record player

- all entries must be submitted as follows:

[name of person] in lyrics on [name of song] - [e.g. Mrs Bloggs on song Bloggs & Son]

- only one entry (guess) - [name of person] per post; only one post per person per day

- some names appear in lyrics of more than one song [not record], each to be given on separate post

- some lyrics  contain more than one name, each name with title of song [not record] on separate post

- the words of the track Revolution #9 [on "The Beatles" ("White") album] are excluded

- only lyrics of songs on studio recordings officially released between Oct 1962 and May 1970 included

no "live" records, "BBC sessions", or bootleg/unreleased versions

There are 71 answers to find. All answers have been checked against lyrics on official song sheets.

Results - with correct [or incorrect] answers - will be posted each day after posts

Any questions or clarification, please post or pm me.

Good luck.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Martha in the song Martha My Dear

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 91 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Chairman Mao in the song Revolution.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 92 of 374

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Mister Postman, in Please, Mr Postman.

(as my first choice is already in, without the "Mother" prefix, by @Bambino)

Message 93 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 124127 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Mister Postman, in Please, Mr Postman.

(as my first choice is already in, without the "Mother" prefix, by @Bambino)

No need for a prefix as far as I am concerned @pgn ?

The quiz asks for names only?

(I could be wrong but that's exactly how I would have posted had I used @Bambino's choice)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 94 of 374

pgn
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

I guess @Mi-Amigo is the final arbiter, but I might not have got away with my Mr Boatswain otherwise Astounded

And Mao hasn't quite the same ring to it without Chairman before it wink

Message 95 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 124127 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

I guess @Mi-Amigo is the final arbiter, but I might not have got away with my Mr Boatswain otherwise Astounded

And Mao hasn't quite the same ring to it without Chairman before it wink

No, I get your point though I was being a bit specific about 'Mother Mary'.

I certainly would have used Chairman Mao. (name AND job title)

There again, is Mr Boatswain , Mr Postman. or even The Queen... a name or a job title?  ConfusedBanana

Not being picky at all, genuine question. Having said all that, I do think leeway has to be given otherwise people would give up wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 96 of 374

pgn
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Might I refer the honorable lady to the above ruling, cited below, @Cleoriff  Hero

Screenshot_20190317-091235__01.jpg

Message 97 of 374

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

The word noun is derived from the Latin "nomen" which means name. Therefore, postman and queen are both naming words, ie nouns slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 98 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 124127 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5

I am well aware of what a noun is thank you. I just wasn't certain 'a naming word' was the intention in the spirit of THIS particular quiz.

@pgn 

Yes I had seen that, which was answered by @Mi-Amigo  when you asked the question. It wasn't in the original rules of the game, which is why I wouldn't have used it.

Having said all that, could I just point out I am NOT moaning. Why would I?

It's a game and as I said (and will say again) all of this is MY personal understanding of the rules when the game started. joy

Sooooo....moving on, anyone for a day trip with The Queen, Mr Boatswain and Mr Postman? Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 99 of 374

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25340 Posts
  • 830 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning guys.

The question of titles was raised by @pgn on page 7 and I gave my decision on page 8.

To explain, and hopefully qualify this - if the lyrics refer to a name with a title and the title and the name have a capital letter, then it is allowed.

In respect of nouns as mentioned by @MI5 , there are two types of nouns - proper nouns, that is those with a capital letter, and, for that reason, I have allowed Mr Heath and Mr Wilson from @MusicIan ; Mr Kite from @jonsie ; Captain Marvel from @pgn ; and The Queen from @MI5 .

Strictly speaking, @pgn should have submitted the latest name as - Mr [not Mister] Postman, but to avoid being pedantic, have accepted this submission as it is.

However, there are also common nouns, and these are not allowed - for example, [non-existant] the chambermaid or a greengrocer are not accepted because not only do these not have a name but also because they do not have a capital letter in the title of the person.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I want this Challenge to be as friendly as it has been and will endeavour to be as fair as possible and make my decision based on known information.

It is intended to be fun and can well understand that it can be competitive - no harm in that - and hope you will all continue to enjoy it.

I am impressed with the knowledge of all of you and, with the correct answers you are supplying this Challenge could be completed by the end of this week! slight_smile

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 100 of 374