Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

That's good to know @ComaChameleon and I didn't know the Dutch spoke German but that's not so surprising. It's only the Brits and Americans who, with the odd exception, only speak English and expect everybody else to speak English too wherever they are in the world.

Yes, very odd exceptions, @Glory1 innocent

Message 31 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. More and most schools now teach a second language as early as primary school.

I was taught French and Spanish and even took a year of German and two years of Latin. Granted it's a long time ago but whilst not a fluent speaker I could get by in most of the EU with the basics.

My reading and understanding is far better than my spoken and I love Latin phrases that are the basis of a lot of quiz shows.

Although forgetting much of what I have learned over my advancing years there are many things that stick in the memory including more than a smittering of Thai (although I'm needing a refresher course!)

Message 32 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I do agree that schools teach a second language @jonsie , the trouble is we fail to make the effort as so many other countries make it easy for us as they usually speak English (or enough to get by)

Typical example with having my apartment in Spain for all those years. When in Spain I used a smattering of Spanish but as all the Spaniards spoke English I didn't bother to become fluent.

A lot of Brits in Spain are the same.

PS I was probably better at Latin as most of the medical terminology is based round that language. Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 42

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try visiting France. You have no choice other than to speak French!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 42

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Yeah. they don't even recognise the English as people let alone bother learning our language!

Message 35 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I have been to France three times. Once to my sisters house in the Dordogne. She was fluent so I let her get on with it. wink

Seriously though I do find French quite easy IF you are actually there. It tends to come back to you.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 42

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Yes @jonsie I spoke Spanish as a kid and teenager growing up in New York thanks to Puerto Rican friends. And had French in school improved on thanks to a French friend I went to middle school with. I can get by in Spain and France when pushed. I understand French better than I speak it. And speak Spanish better than I understand it. Can read both languages better still.

But I also agree with @Cleoriff that most Europeans speak English thanks to many of our and American TV shows, as well as learning English in School. The exception is France, and @MI5 is correct you have to speak French in France. Even if they speak English they won't, they hate the Brits and Americans that much.

But the majority of Brits and Americans only speak English. Only if their grandparents or parents in America spoke another language are they bilingual. Usually Italians or Cubanos or Puerto Ricans.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 37 of 42

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hate is a strong word to use @Glory1.
Some regions in France have a dislike for some other nationalities but venture further south where there were strong bonds with the Resistance during the war and the Brits are loved. Without us, France would not have survived the German onslaught at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 38 of 42

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Hate is a strong word to use @Glory1.
Some regions in France have a dislike for some other nationalities but venture further south where there were strong bonds with the Resistance during the war and the Brits are loved. Without us, France would not have survived the German onslaught at all.

Perhaps @MI5 hate was indeed too strong a word but it's been my experience of France I'm afraid. I certainly agree with you totally that France would not have survived the German onslaught without Britain. 

However, my experiences of France in Paris and other regions of France, though I can't remember specifically where we were as it was many years ago, was anything but friendly. Even when I went out of my way to speak French rather than assume they spoke English, I was looked at as if I just landed on a spaceship. My French may not have been perfect but at least I made the effort. In Spain and Italy they are pleased when you attempt to speak Spanish or Italian, laugh and correct you in a friendly way. Not so in France; at least that's been my experience.

You spend a lot more time in France than I did and have a home there. So your experience is clearly different to mine. But I can only speak for how I was treated on my visits which, apart from when I was with my late boyfriend, who was fluent in French and did all the talking, was anything but friendly. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 39 of 42

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a real shame you had that experience.
The French are very passionate, great chefs and produce some of the best wine in the world.
It isn't an extension of the UK like Spain is, so you have to fully embrace the way of life here to fully appreciate it and be liked.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 42