cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStation confirms next gen console (PlayStation 5?)

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

There was an interesting announcement from Sony this week where they have confirmed a next-generation games console to succeed the PlayStation 4. 

playstation.jpg

The console is un-named at the moment but based on their previous systems my money is on this being called the PlayStation 5. The launch date is still unconfirmed but it expected anywhere between the end of 2019 and 2021. 

Are there any gamers excited for the next generation of gaming platforms or do you thing the current systems have a good few years of life left in them yet? 

Further reading

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
I still have a PS3, and given how much (or rather, how little) it gets used I won't be changing any time soon...
Would love to get an upgrade but these things ain't cheap.
The lack of backwards compatibility is also annoying.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be interesting to see where they go with consoles now.

Project Scorpio was supposed to be the dogs doodahs and it turned out to be the Xbox One X... pfft

And I bet Sony raise the cost of going online to match the new console price. (Another turn off for me)

Think I’ll be sticking to my iPad!

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I'm not a gamer though my husband and grandson are. As mentioned by @gmarkj the lack of backwards compatibility has always been an issue when a new games console is announced. Works out to be very expensive.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’ll be called the PlayStation 5 & actually the PS4 still has a few years left & potential. The backwards thing always annoyed me about the PS4 though

Message 5 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

My suggestion for the name: Playstation 25. The original PS1 launched in 1994 which makes it about 25 years and divide it by 5 and you get all sorts of fun resulting in PS5 being released in 2019 and makes it far more sellable as a brand if you jump suddenly to higher numbers and you get rid of the legacy compatibility crowd complaints: "its next-gen...." 

Not that I'll be queuing up to buy one, as far as I'm concerned it will only be a dumb box that will stream games which will likely enforce the relatively succesful pay-to-play game concept that will only be available for a short period of time to maximise revenue. Or if I suspect its going to be like a Neflix style subscription service.  The days of buying physical games are over.

Not that the games will be imaginative and different: it will be either a variant of a "realistic racing game" or an FPV shooter. 

Sheepdog in "Katamari" mode

Message 6 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'll be picking it up for sure but I've had every PlayStation from the first one onwards. 

The lack of backwards compatibility has never really bothered me. I had it on the PS3 and found after playing the updated graphics and game physics on the latest console the old games were hard to go back to. 

Like your thinking on the new name @sheepdog

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2

I very nearly bought a PS4 after seeing the video for Driveclub but after having an Xbox 360 I decided to get out of console gaming.

I might see what happens with MS' Project xCloud as I don't have time to be a dedicated gamer so if they offer a low subscription model to be able to access their game library via my PC as opposed to me having to buy a console I might be interested.

Trying to play games on a mobile doesn't really appeal though.

Message 8 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm the same @Anonymous I don't play too many mobile games as console gaming takes a fair chunk of your free time. 

Project xCloud looks interesting! I'll have to keep my eye on news about that one. 

signature

Message 9 of 9