Off Topic Room 101

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WELCOME to the DUNGEON of the COMMUNITY OFF-TOPIC GANG known as

room-101.jpg

We have members of the Community Off-Topic Gang. We have the Naughty Step.

Now we have our very own ROOM 101, where the members of the Community Off-Topic Gang can banish there dislikes - not people - but events can be banished...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 763
762 REPLIES 762

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Jeremy Kyle can go.

@gmarkj  Jermey Kyle gets my vote - can`t stand him rage

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 41 of 763

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
Jeremy Kyle can go.

Do people still actually watch that.....???

I wouldn't waste my time, energy nor electricity on that TV show. Who cares about people willing to air their dirty laundry on TV?! There are so many other things to watch or, novel idea, turn the TV off and read a book tongue_winking

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 42 of 763

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Re Jeremy Kyle.

Who set him up as counsellor? He has no qualifications whatsoever and delights in having a load of chavs on his show.

I have never understood why he is so popular. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 763

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, keeping to TV shows and possibly creating a bit of discussion, I nominate, including repeats of -

Absolutely Fabulous. Sorry, but never found it funny....

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 44 of 763

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
The "new" version of Top Gear (Chris Evans/Matt LeBlanc version).
All of the soaps (Neighbours/Eastenders/Coronation St/Hollyoaks/etc/etc/etc).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 45 of 763

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
The "new" version of Top Gear (Chris Evans/Matt LeBlanc version).
All of the soaps (Neighbours/Eastenders/Coronation St/Hollyoaks/etc/etc/etc).

I agree with Top Gear @gmarkj  but would have to  say no to the soaps. I don't watch them all, but like Emmerdale and Corrie. There again, I also like Wildlife programmes, anything with David Attenbrough in, F1, SCD, DOI, and stuff like The Widow, The Victim, Line of Duty, Sherlock et al.

I do look at the soaps and sometimes think, 'How stupid, that would never happen'......there again, I wouldn't choose to live in Midsomer aka 'the Village of the Dead! joy

Edited to add, I never liked Absolutely Fabulous either @Mi-Amigo. I do like anything starring Julie Walters and Victoria Wood. Sadly we have lost VW, but her programmes are classics and can be watched time and time again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 763

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I am willing to forgive SCD and DOI but I cannot forgive the soaps @Cleoriff.
Some of the things that happen on there are just too far beyond the pale - admittedly they would be based on real life as they do happen, it is just how many things happen to a select few and how quickly they all move on from them...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 47 of 763

Mi-Amigo
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I agree that the "new" Top Gear" should go in to the Off Topic Room 101.

I am struggling a bit over all soaps because although I don`t watch any now, I used to enjoy early Corrie and `Enders..

As for TV I do watch, like @Cleoriff I thoroughly enjoy wildlife programmes and do watch Dancing On Ice but, and I know others will not share this view, I`d send Sickly [sorry Strictly] Come Dancing in, because, in my opinion, it is an opportunity for talentless has-beens, and is nothing more that a "new" version of the BBC show from years ago - Come Dancing - which thankfully hit the buffers and disappeared from our screens.   

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 48 of 763

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I am willing to forgive SCD and DOI but I cannot forgive the soaps @Cleoriff.
Some of the things that happen on there are just too far beyond the pale - admittedly they would be based on real life as they do happen, it is just how many things happen to a select few and how quickly they all move on from them...

I agree to a certain extent @gmarkj.

However, they do cover topics which never seem to get an airing anywhere else. If the research is good and it usually is, then they do help people getting a message across. Mental and sexual abuse, living with life limiting conditions, transgender issues, misuse of drugs, child grooming, suicide, etc etc etc.

For those reasons alone,I can forgive the fact that all soap police seem to be a tad thick. Or there is a massive major incident and only ONE person in the pub is hurt.

Yes it's unbelievable at times...it also makes me think my life isn't all that bad...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 763

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

When it comes to TV, as we can see on here, everyone has a different opinion about what's good and what's not. Personally, there are no TV programmes I'd put in room 101 as, though they may not appeal to me, they do appeal to others. The only soaps I watch are Hollyoaks and Doctors but I know Corrie and Enders appeal to a wide audience. And all 4 soaps have touched on subjects not seen in many other programmes except the news. TV is mass media with hundreds of channels and there are going to be shows we like and many others we don't. Personally I won't deprive other people from watching shows they enjoy simply because I don't. If I don't like a show I don't watch it. But I don't think I have the right to say I don't like it, therefore no one should watch it.

You have a choice about what you watch and don't watch. And no one is forced to watch what they don't like.

I no longer watch Corrie or Eastenders, haven't for years but they are enjoyed by millions so why would I deprive them of a show they enjoy simply because I no longer do. To me that's not fair. 

I also agree with @Cleoriff that the soaps often touch on subjects that, outside of the news, are not dealt with in any other drama. And they do it well.

No one is forced to watch what they don't like. And, I resent anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't watch on TV. If you enjoy it watch it, if you don't then don't.

Sorry folks, but I wouldn't put any TV programme in room 101 not even the awful Jeremy Kyle. Let people watch what they want. There are hundreds of TV channels with programmes to suit everyone's taste. And that is as it should be. And if there is nothing on TV you want to watch, there is the off switch. Or watch a DVD, listen to music, read a book, go for a walk or talk to your family. But leave TV programmes to those that enjoy them, even if you hate them. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same things. And when it comes to TV programmes we will never all agree on what is good and what not. We all have different tastes. I'm very happy to let people watch what they want as long as I'm not forced to watch it too!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 50 of 763