Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit rating? No mobile phone contract

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124142 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

The Daily Mail is currently running a story which is telling how Kirsty Allsopp (of TV fame) has been outraged because her mother in law has been refused a mobile phone contract as she has NO credit rating.

This 81 year old lady...who runs her own antiques business...has never paid for anything via direct debit.

Apparently she pays cash for everything and has never been in debt.

However the application for a contract was refused because the company could not find ANY credit rating on her

So beware..... It isn't only those who have a BAD credit rating

Apparently you can be debt free...pay everything on time....run your own business.....BUT...if you have no credit rating on file....you can be refused a contract for £30 a month...

A sign of the times...but farcical nonetheless?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821194/Why-t-mother-law-85-buy-new-mobile-phone-Kirstie-All...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions
It's common knowledge, surely, that any credit rating is better than no credit rating?
Years ago even when I was 18 I was encouraged by my Father to take a credit card and use it just to pay for fuel in my car and repay it in full every month, just to get a foot on the credit ladder...
Touch wood, I've never had an issue with credit checks for phones or mortgages and the odd car loan.... slight_smile
Anyway, thanks for sharing as it should spark up some good healthy debate......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124142 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

It obviously isnt common knowledge Rich because this article also sparked a phone in on TV where other people were refused mortgages...due to the fact they had NO credit rating

They had followed parental 'mores' of always paying for stuff on time and never being in 'debt'

My own parents frowned on anything on Hire Purchase. In those days it was felt if you couldnt afford it...you shouldn't have it....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 146708 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

In those days it was felt if you couldnt afford it...you shouldn't have it....:smileywink:

I still live by that but unfortunately I'd still be living with my parents if I couldn't get a mortgage wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
My son had the same issues when trying to open his first contract with O2.

They wouldn't do it for him as he had no credit rating.

He left it 2 weeks and went back and they opened one this time if he paid a returnable after 3 months bills deposit.
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks a bit funny to me?
Everything done in cash so HMRC, can't see what takings are!
Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124142 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I really just wanted to point out that I did know about the credit rating requirement......

I was hoping to show that sometimes it is also progress gone mad....

From one extreme to the other. Help can be given to those with an appalling credit rating. No such help for those who have always paid their way.....

I personally pay everything via direct debit....but it is damn annoying when my electricity and gas company write and tell me 'Congratulations....you owed us xxxxx and you are £400 in credit...

I often think why the heck do I do this??...Overpaying every month and allowing  money to sit in SSE coffers?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124142 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks a bit funny to me?
Everything done in cash so HMRC, can't see what takings are!

Well...that is another point of view I expect....LOL Never thought of that one...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23470 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

I had a problem with a credit check a few years ago when I tried to buy a phone online. I'm not on the electoral register (because I can't be), so I had to go through an entire rigmarole with Experian to get them to change my rating. Crazy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
There's just "something" about this story that seems off.
Dunno what or how, but a woman that age, supposedly owning a business, on the electoral roll, has never had so much as a BT landline?
Something off.
Message 10 of 16