Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile or Landline?

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I recently read on the BBC Technology page that in the USA more people use their mobiles than landlines. Apparently many households don't even have a landline and rely solely on their mobiles.

This particularly interested me as I don't have a landline and exclusively use my mobile . My reason is that I make so few phone calls that I cannot justify paying additiinal line rental for a service I rarely use. I can browse the net, do on-line shopping, send emails and messages (the latter through Whatsapp not SMS),play games and do a search on any subject even how to spell a word on my mobile. And, of course, make the odd phone call.

So all if this made me wonder what's the situation here in the UK? I assume all of you have a landline as well as your mobile. So my question is which do you use most: your landline or your mobile? And what do you use your mobile for?
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93271 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I had a Virgin package back in the UK but it annoyed me that they and most other ISPs make a landline compulsory. There is no need this day and age especially with cable reaching more and more people. 

My landline was used solely for incoming calls mainly from my boys because it was cheaper for them but now they have their own mobile allowances so cost didn't come into it. Many annoying wrong numbers and sales calls too which I let the answer phone deal with. 

Home phones heading the same way as call boxes, for some essential but for the majority unnecessary now. 

Message 11 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
You have, @jonsie, stated why I don't have a Virgin or Sky package the compulsory landline. As you say it's totally unnecessary but you can't get a package without it. I know I tried!

Message 12 of 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12367 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1148 Solutions
We have a a package deal with Virgin.
My O/H works from home sometimes so she uses that to make calls (not got unlimited on her phone).
Family also call us both on that rather than mobile as they too have landlines.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124225 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I have a package deal with BT which includes a landline. Many of my friends prefer to contact us via this route particularly if they dont have mobiles. There are some who dont!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 32

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Interesting discussion! From a point of view of a Finnish person I can say that probably around 10-15 years ago (more or less) people started to get rid of their landlines because it ended up costing more than having a mobile phone.

And also because they didn't need a phone line anymore for internet connection either since that too evolved, it was not used at all.

Somehow I still miss our home landline phone for sentimental reasons though. It made a fun noise when dialling. grin It looked something like this one:

rotaryphone.jpeg

Message 15 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with @Marjo a Refresh contract is a lot cheaper for me in the long run rather than a landline 

Message 16 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I agree with both of you @Anonymous and @Marjo as that's exactly my view. But as @Cleoriff says not everyone has a mobile phone. Something we tend to forget.

And @gmarkj also pointed out that his partner doesn't have unlimited calls on her mobile so needs a landline when working from home. Something I certainly never considered.

I'm really finding this discussion very interesting.

Message 17 of 32

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Same for myself. Had a land line and realised I hadn't used it for about 6 months apart from cold callers so scrapped it. Broadband and a mobile covers all my needs. 

This was 10 years ago now but still remember the number Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
A few of you have mentioned cold calls on your landline. I get cold calls on my mobile!

As I receive so few calls on my mobile I always check the number when I receive the odd call. If the number is unfamiliar - usually the case - I decline the call. I then check the number and it's always a cold caller. I then block the number.

The only calls I'm likely to receive are from my doctor's surgery, though they now tend to text or email me; my landlord - though they also tend to email me and the pharmacy that fills my monthly prescription.

Oh and @Martin-O2 I can beat your memory. I still remember my parents' phone number when I lived in New York and that was 52 years ago 😉

Message 19 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only ever got cold calls on my landline not via mobile

Message 20 of 32