Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft sues U.S. Government

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122959 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Microsoft has sued the U.S. government for the right to tell its customers when a federal agency is looking at their emails, the latest in a series of clashes over privacy between the technology industry and Washington.

This is in relation to information stored on the Cloud

Microsoft said 5,624 requests for data were made in the past 18 months, and almost half came with a court order forcing the company to keep the demand secret.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-privacy-idUSKCN0XB22U

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36050151

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

I saw an article about this yesterday. The right to privacy, and the government's rights issue is going to rage on for a very long time. This, and the recent case with Apple are the tip of the iceberg. I would imagine that as far as cases in the US go, it won't get sorted until it goes to the Supreme Court and a decision is made from there.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122959 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

To be quite honest @Bambino initially I thought it was old news and was to do with the Apple refusal to unlock a phone. Then I saw it on three different news sites and realised it was different (though all about privacy rights of the individual) As technology advances at the rate it is I can see more and more cases going to court...and as you say, dragging on and on...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As more and more of these companies harvest our personal data, this kind of request will become more and more common.
But I have to say, fair play to Microsoft for wanting to keep customers informed of such data requests.
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

We are talking the USA where litigation is a way of life. Everyone sues everyone innit.

Message 5 of 5