Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messy Forum - Poor houskeeping

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how messy the forum is just lately? There are threads all covering the same subject in at least 3 different sections all relating to mail server issues (as an example). I have also flagged posts with a request to move or merge which haven't been actioned Smiley Frustrated

Are all the mods on holiday ??

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does seem a bit unorganised at the moment
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

A forum is a fluid and always evolving environment. As it's not a knowledgebase or wiki, we generally don't merge threads. There are quite a few reasons why we don't do that. Here's just a couple:

1. A merged thread is very difficult to read
Replies from several threads are merged into one. This completely destroys the flow of conversation and makes it hard to understand what is going on in a merged thread. With 99 out of a 100 reading rather than posting, merging actually causes more confusion.

2. No two threads are the same
Although things might relate to similar or even the same issue, people's situations are unique and they might have a different understanding of the problem. For example, someone might not be technical enough to understand that SMTP issues relate to their email. They will therefore start a new thread with the title "mail issues". Having two threads with different explanation will help those 99 out of 100 readers as well.

3. It's hard to get answers in a merged thread
If threads are merged, it's often hard to find back. We do message the OPs, but as the thread is now merged, people will no longer get replies to their original question.

Generally, I do think we should post a link to deflect people to an official thread, if there is one. That gives them the opportunity to ask their question there.

Hope that makes sense. If not, please give me a shout. I'm always happy to discuss re-evaluating our processes based on the pro's/cons for it.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Leonard
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds sensible explained that way
Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

2. No two threads are the same
Although things might relate to similar or even the same issue, people's situations are unique and they might have a different understanding of the problem. For example, someone might not be technical enough to understand that SMTP issues relate to their email. They will therefore start a new thread with the title "mail issues". Having two threads with different explanation will help those 99 out of 100 readers as well.

7 separate posts in 3 sections all with "SMTP" in the title.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
And 100+ threads with Android in the title wink

Jokes aside, I really do think it is a better experience for the majority of members if we don't merge. As I said, I'm happy to discuss changing that if there's a good reason for it.
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
No probs... It's your forum wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I hope not. slight_smile

It's for all of you, so I was hoping to look at different arguments for/against merging.
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
100+ android threads, that's a good comeback but it does need a bit of tidying say putting the mail threads underneath each other or something
Message 9 of 19

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I must agree with mi5 on this. It does seem to be a lot more disorganised recently. I presumed the lithium mods had taken a break.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 10 of 19