Did you mean: 

Juno probe arrives in Jupiter orbit

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

An exciting week for space exploration as the Juno probe has successfully entered Jupiter's orbit following a 5 year journey! The purpose of the probe is to study the in interior structure of the planet which will provide clues to it's formation and hopefully determine if there is a solid core or not. 

Jupiter is one of my favourite planets and it's an absolute beast containing over twice the mass of all the other planets combined. Composed mostly of hydrogen and helium. The planet also features a magnetic field that's 14 times stronger then Earths which if visible would be many times the size of the full moon. It's likely generated by a layer of "metallic hydrogen", which is hydrogen compressed under extreme pressure until it forms a liquid metal like substance similar to mercury. 

It's also home to 67 moons, the majority of which are below 10 kilometres in diameter. The main 4 moons of note are called the Galilean moons (discovered by Galileo) called Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto which are fascinating places in their own right with possible sub surface ocean on Europa, Io being the most geologically active object in the Solar System and Ganymede holding the title of the largest moon in the Solar system! 

The planet also has some of the most extreme weather and it's atmosphere is constantly churning with storms. The most famous of which is the great red spot which as been going for at least 300 years. 

I'm really interested by what we could learn about our largest neighbour from this mission. What do you guys think? Is this a massive waste of money or a worthy endeavour to find out more about how the Solar system formed?

Further reading on the Juno mission

jupiter-image.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You can see Jupiter's moons with the naked eye, did you know that..
Message 2 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I've always been fascinated with our solar system. Yes it's an enormous amount of money but that is our nature, to explore the unknown. From the beginning of time man has wondered what lies over the next hill, what will we find across the sea or ocean. Who knows what we will discover the more we explore distant planets and galaxies?

Jupiter and Saturn have always been my personal favourites and I look forward to seeing and reading about all the amazing discoveries from this probe.

Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 123250 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Some people find it fascinating others think its a waste of money. I am all for it. Discovering new things about 'everything' has helped us in the past.... and will continue to do so.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

This sort of thing is fantastic. Knowledge is power and all that slight_smile

Message 5 of 25

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@viridis I didn't know that! I'm off camping this weekend so will have to keep an eye out for this. Weather permitting of course. 

I totally agree guys it's always been a drive of people to explore and it's awesome that we now have the technology to investigate beyond the confines of our own planet. 

I'm most interested in hearing more about the metallic hydrogen layer deep beneath the cloud layers. It only exists under mind boggling pressures and conducts electricity! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 25

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

This sort of thing is fantastic. Knowledge is power and all that slight_smile

Totlaly agree @Anonymous! I want to get a telescope slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 25

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

How soon before Eugene Wesley Rodenberry's fiction becomes reality?

As Spock would say, 'Fascinating!'

Message 8 of 25

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

How soon before Eugene Wesley Rodenberry's fiction becomes reality?

As Spock would say, 'Fascinating!'

We have a few hurdles to overcome before we get there @jonsie including world hunger, an end to war and mastering faster then light travel but I remain optimistic. wink

signature

Message 10 of 25