Did you mean: 

International Jazz Day 2022 🎶🎷🎵

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey everyone!

I just thought I would do a short post to commemorate International Jazz Day (tomorrow) on the community.

Admittedly, I am no jazz expert. Between watching J.K. Simmons throw a cymbal at Miles Teller's head and some modern jazz songs, I think I know a little bit about the genre.

I had a quick look on Priority tickets to see if I could find any tickets on sale for jazz musicians, but except for CoN & wAkE and St. Panther, all I could see were pretty much heavy metal bands 😅. And even though the artists I mentioned aren't necessarily jazz, in the production of their music, you can definitely hear the influence of the genre.

But, there has definitely been a revitalisation of jazz in recent years. I enjoy the music of Tom Misch, Ezra Collective, Alfa Mist and Kokoroko. There's a lot of rap music now that marries up with jazz music too. BADBADNOTGOOD are often doing collaborations with hip hop (and other) artists.

I guess that even though I'm not a jazz purist, I realise how important its place is in music! Some may agree, some may disagree 😉. But, thought it would be worthwhile creating a topic for this day. 

And to end, even though I'm a day early, on this day jazz legend Duke Ellington was born (1899). Here's a quote from him:

"A problem is a chance for you to do your best."

That's all. Any jazz recommendations? Stories? If so, get them in the comments below.

Have a jazzy weekend alllllllllllllllllll 🎶🎷🎵.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35918 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

Loads going on up in the far Northwest currently, between 28-Apr and 02-May-2022 in this regard too: 

http://cityofderryjazzfestival.com/jazz-hubs/

Screenshot_20220430-073409.png

Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I'm not a jazz fan at all really. Bit of a shame as that's the only genre of music which puts a stop to my claim that I love all types of music. Cleoriff_1-1651304130832.png

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff Are you a clone of me? I don't like jazz either. In fact one of my favourite jokes (from Alexei Sayle of all people!): There are two types of Jazz. And they're both **** 🤣

But I'll agree with @lewys-gp , the older jazz is far more influential that people realise. The musical skill of those artists are far superior to a lot of so called artists these days (Guess Cleoriff, you hate Jamie Callum too?) 

Which reminds me, I do have a sort-of-a jazz fusion hip hop album somewhere: Quincy Jones Back on the block. Full of Rap and contemporary jazz artists of its time - released in 1989. Speaking from someone who was into (and still) rave techno then, this is still pretty good listening today. 

Also I have been, briefly, to the Montreal Jazz festival. Only because we didn't realise it was on and it was free (read: inflicted). However, its (jazz) quite good fun live though the best way to describe the attendees is imagine Glastonbury without the mud and just with the beer and the kids. 

I'm just going to leave this here for you to enjoy and leave you to wonder how I found this: 

Message 4 of 6

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Appreciate the comments, @Cleoriff @pgn

Very interesting read, @sheepdog. I'm going to put that Quincy Jones album on today 👍.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 5 of 6

RunrigForever
  • 2166 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Only just found this thread. I do like trad jazz/ swing / spiritual or may be called gospel or even hymns. I don't like cool jazz / blue jazz.......it has to have a recognised rhythm to bop to / quickstep to.......I used to be scribe for the long since defunkt Bradford and Ilkley Jazz Club - we met up monthly alternating Shipley Con Club with Hollygarth Social Club Ilkley. I wrote up the live gigs in the international Just Jazz magazine = fond memories xx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 6