Did you mean: 

Hospital and Iphone ban...

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Apologies about the title ...aimed purely to get attention...:smileywink:

However, this is a story linked to 'personal' experience...but may serve as a timely warning to everybody?....

My brother in law (currently in hospital at the moment), has the iPhone 6+....... (he is a guy who has always had the latest in everything ....so at age 80 who can blame him?)

However.... the hospital is having none of it... (I don't think THEY have a bias toward Android but.....)
They will not leave the phone in his possession. The powers that be have said they will take NO responsibility for the loss or damage to this £650+ phone

(He is a little confused at times but they assure me that is not the sole reason...)

I was told it is policy..
So now if he wants to use his phone.... this poor guy has to ask for it to be taken out of the locked cupboard on the ward...(and has to sign for it..)
It just shows how times have moved on since I was last working on the wards....THEN we locked up expensive jewellery and large sums of money.....now we risk phones being locked away unless we sign a disclaimer

I am not saying this will be the policy in all hospitals...but this one is a very large teaching hospital in the Midlands...

EDIT: I have been requested to change the title..which I have. My story is about an iPhone however so that will remain wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suppose at the large amount these phones cost I'm not surprised they don't want to be held responsible if a phone goes missing.

Maybe if they had some form of disclaimer for a patient to sign absolving the hospital of any responsibility.
Message 2 of 31

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe if they had some form of disclaimer for a patient to sign absolving the hospital of any responsibility.

".....now we risk phones being locked away unless we sign a disclaimer"

just sign the disclaimer, no doubt somewhere along the line someone has had something nicked and tried blaming the hospital. While a bit extreme, they just covering their a$$

Message 3 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Yes that was what I meant when I said he has to sign for it if he wants it out of the locked cupboard...

It really is pointing out 'how times change' as it were...

Also when you think a lot of smartphones are constantly at hand nowadays..in pockets, bags or hands ready to use at at the drop of a hat...it must be a tad annoying to have to go and ask for your new toy every time you want to use it...(particularly if the nursing staff are busy)

I can honestly see both sides of the debate here...the individuals...and the hospitals..:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I was in hospital we were not supposed to be using them. I could never work out if it was because they had the potential to affect medical devices or they wanted patients to use those astronomically high cost to use bedside phones and tv units.

I sneaked mine in and kept it under my pillow. 😄
Message 5 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122943 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Please note for those of you who have been posting...and to avoid confusion, I have been told to change the thread title...which I have. As the story is about an iPhone however...that has been left in...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

A sign of the times and to a degree quite understandable. Most of us these days would be lost without our phones, I suppose it's our own form of life support. I haven't personally come across this in my recent hospital stays so it's possibly a policy that each health authority or hospital governing board adopt.

Message 7 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

They probably don't want people using their smartphones so that they are forced to get ripped off by signing up to the hospital bedside services  Zipped

Message 8 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently had an operation. The hodpital wasn't to happy with me and my phone by my side. But I think it was for the reasons stated ^^^^^
Message 9 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I spent around £40 on one of those cards to turn on the sky on those Bedside Tv's.

Their was no way I was paying those call costs and neither was I allowing my family and friends rack up costs either !
Message 10 of 31