Did you mean: 

HOLY WEEK

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123335 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

A quick explanation of my involvement.

@RunrigForeverwished to do a piece on Holy Week with the help of @Dave-O2 (not realising he was away.)

I offered to help with editing and images:

Story/Script/Research = @RunrigForever 

Editing/Layout/Images = @Cleoriff 

HOLY WEEK

HW Holy Land.jpg

Holy Land

Palm Sunday ..... when Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph on the back of a lowly beast = a donkey ...the people cheered and threw palm leaves at the feet of the donkey. = ... Nubian donkeys bear a cross (of Jesus) upon their backs still today.

HW Jesus on donkey.jpg

Jesus entering Jerusalem in triumph.

HW Donkey with cross.jpg

Nubian Donkey with the cross on their back.

Holy Monday ..... Jesus overturned the tables in the city as there was 'unfair trading'.

Holy Tuesday ..... Jesus continued his teaching, but the powers that were, then began plotting against him and his teaching. Jesus foretold of his crucifixion to his disciples.

Holy Wednesday or Spy Wednesday ..... Judas was a very close friend of Jesus and his betrayal would harm him immensely.

HW Judas Betrayal.jpg

Judas' betrayal of Jesus

Maunday Thursday ..... In celebration of The Last Supper some churches have a Maunday meal. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus was alone. Judas betrayed Jesus and in remorse at what he had done, took his own life.

HW The Last Supper.jpg

The Last Supper

Good Friday ..... The day of the Crucifixion ..... Pontius Pilate found Jesus guilty and sentenced him to death. Jesus was nailed to the cross he had been forced to carry. The sky went dark and Jesus looked to the heavens above… 'Father, Father, why has thou forsaken me ?'.

HW Jesus carrying cross.jpg

Jesus carrying the cross.

HW Jesus Nailed to cross.jpg

Jesus Nailed to the cross

Holy Saturday – Jesus died on the cross. A secret disciple, Joseph of Arimathea, asked Pilate if he could take take Jesus' body for burial. Permission granted, he removed Jesus from the cross and wrapped the body in linen. Joseph placed the body in his own new tomb that he had cut out, rolled a stone in front of it and left.

HW Jesus in Tomb.jpg

Easter Day (Sunday) ..... His friends found the stone rolled away to the side of the entrance to the cave which was now empty... He Had Risen ...

(There is a song called 'Roll Away the Stone’ by Mott the Hoople. Good title but the lyrics show it has nothing to do with the Crucifixion)

The EASTER STORY is Neverending !

When looking at Holy Week, I did a bit of research. I read about His various sightings in the area ... ... ... the origin of the phrase 'a Doubting Thomas'.
Watch and marvel at the film 'Jesus Christ Superstar' filmed in suitable landscape with fantastic timeless music ... ... ... Read the book 'The Robe' by Lloyd Douglas ... ... ... Read the book or watch the film 'The Big Fisherman' starring Rock Hudson ... ... ... the film 'Ben Hur' is relevant and filmed in Technicolour or Cinemascope ... ... ...

On Palm Sunday and in church, folded palm crosses are given out = I used to keep mine in a narrow necked vase.

HW Palm Cross.jpg

Family Easter-time reminds me of when my mum would cook a fillet of lamb, traditional at Easter ..... we would send traditional Easter cards in our later lives ..... an Easter egg apiece with my sister ..... fluffy snowy white lambs playing in the fields ..... the promise of Spring like weather ..... I have researched why Easter is a moveable religious feast and have come up with conflicting results = something to do with the phase of the moon and something to do with the powerful religious people who set Easter time well in advance of next year’s diaries being printed = you choose.

Did you know Simnel Cake with 11 spheres on top representing the Apostles is relevant to Holy Week?

Only 11 spheres as Judas was not included.

HW Simnel Cake.jpg

It has been a pleasure composing this piece for Holy Week Easter 2024 on O2C. Couldn't have done it without the encouragement of @Cleoriff and her editing and posting relevant pictures. Thank you Cleo.

All enjoy Easter ❤️

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

A lovely  story of Easter in collaboration by @Cleoriff and @RunrigForever 

Love the pictures which bind the text too

Well done guys, great post 👍

Message 2 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123335 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Just as an additional comment here from me. Thanks to @RunrigForever for choosing this topic. I'm not particularly religious but found this interesting. The mention of 'doubting Thomas' made me look it up and it was Thomas, one of the Apostles who doubted Jesus was dead and wanted to see the nail marks from the crucifixion.

I also had no idea of the relevance of palm crosses nor Simnel cake. 😂

However, I did know, through my love of nature, about Nubian Donkeys. The only breed of donkey with the marking of the cross on their back.

So thank you Jane xxx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 35

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6775 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

With regards to timing, there are two Easters! Many Orthodox Christian use the Julian Calendar, Easter for them is 5th May this year.

The name Easter is a Christianisation of the name of the Saxon Pagan Goddess Eostre, Goddess of the Spring. Her feast day was on the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. Our Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123335 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

A lovely  story of Easter in collaboration by @Cleoriff and @RunrigForever 

Love the pictures which bind the text too

Well done guys, great post 👍

Thanks @jonsie 

I didn't realise how many images there were available on this topic. Some painted by 'old masters'.

it was interesting for me to read Jane's story and then add the relevant ones I stored in my picture file. 😊

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 35

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10789 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Really lovely story concise and interesting with the pictures that enhance it.  The cake is not something that I have ever made 🤔  but I do know about it.  Thank you @RunrigForever 

Thank you @Cleoriff 

I enjoyed it.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123335 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

With regards to timing, there are two Easters! Many Orthodox Christian use the Julian Calendar, Easter for them is 5th May this year.

The name Easter is a Christianisation of the name of the Saxon Pagan Goddess Eostre, Goddess of the Spring. Her feast day was on the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. Our Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. 

Thanks @Enlli. Great information and something else I've learned. Every day's a school day on here 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 35

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6775 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

An old tradition with Palm Crosses is to burn the previous years just before Lent and use some of the ashes on Ash Wednesday 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 123335 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Thanks @TallTrees 

It was really interesting to try and match the pictures to @RunrigForever's story.

Also I noticed that Joseph of Arimathea was mentioned in  @Mi-Amigo's Easter WRQ! 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 35

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I was taught all about this and also the two easters, Ash Wednesday etc but the memories have diminished so much in the 63 years of life since.

I'm not religious, only ever been to church for the odd wedding but sadly frequent funerals of people I grew up with

Thank you for the reminders @Cleoriff @Enlli 

Message 10 of 35