Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gatwick IT or Vodafone?

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions
So Gatwick OPs handed out whiteboards and dry-wipe markers when the display screens all went on the fritz...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/whiteboards-used-as-gatwick-flight-info-screens-fail-11477470

Who said mobile data networks were the future? Oops. slight_smile
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn wrote:

After the fact, of course...

The diversity put into the fibre incoming to my workplace over a decade ago has stood us in good stead, so far... Different vendors, different paths, although, alas limited for several years to BT for the last few miles, even if they do come into the building from opposite ends and in diverse ducts...

"Backhoe" incidents are all too frequent, and when there were 2 sites about 20miles apart where I work, one was taken out for about 36hours when a digger went through the ducts late one summer evening... Never seen so many floodlights shining down a hole as on that evening...

@pgn

A few months back one of the remote offices at work was taken out by what turned out to be a Rat chewing through the fibre.

Message 11 of 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

Yeah, @Anonymous, @some armoured fibre is coated with chemicals abhorrent to rodents... but tastes changeLOL

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn

I've no involvement with the physical networking side of things at work so don't know if this fibre was armoured or not.

I think this particular one was maintained through BT.

Message 13 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I have two stories to share, both amusing for different reasons.
1: An auditor used to come on site once a month to check paperwork for vehicles was in order. As he was a mobile worker he had a company laptop. To connect to the network he would unplug the cable from the back of the PC on the desk he was using, do his work, and then plug it back into the PC.
On this occasion instead of plugging it into the PC he instead plugged it into an unused network port on the wall. Cue network meltdown. This was a Friday afternoon. We had no on-site IT so had to get a contractor in (from central IT) Friday, Saturday and Monday before the issue was resolved.
2: There was a new roundabout and overpass being built just down the road from my workplace (it was one of 3 warehouses on the site). JCB went straight through the telecoms cables. No connection to outside for 24 hours while they patched it up.
According to the info we got passed, the cables should have been 2 metres to one side of where they were but had been moved because they couldn't dig the trench where they were supposed to have.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 14