Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gatwick IT or Vodafone?

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
So Gatwick OPs handed out whiteboards and dry-wipe markers when the display screens all went on the fritz...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/whiteboards-used-as-gatwick-flight-info-screens-fail-11477470

Who said mobile data networks were the future? Oops. slight_smile
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I always say technology's wonderful when it works. But when it doesn't, oh my....🤣
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Dont forget that Voda also provide fibre to the premises as well as leased line, and this is seemingly a cable failure
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A Gatwick spokesperson said a "handful of people had missed their flights" as a result of the problem.

Expect a number of compensation claims then.....rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

pgn
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Expect a number of compensation claims then.....rolling_eyes

I am sure both Gatwick and Vodafone have insurance to cover that contingency... Crazy LOL

Screenshot_20180820-150555__01.jpg

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, fibre optic cable breaks due to human or animal intervention are common these days.

It's either someone putting a spade or more likely a digger bucket through them or Rats chewing through them.

Aside from using the expensive steel armour jacketed cable as well as running a backup along a different route there's not a huge amount that can be done to stop it, doesn't matter if it's Vodafone, BT, Virgin Media or City Fibre.

Fibre is fibre.

Message 6 of 14

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, fibre optic cable breaks due to human or animal intervention are common these days.

It's either someone putting a spade or more likely a digger bucket through them or Rats chewing through them.

Aside from using the expensive steel armour jacketed cable as well as running a backup along a different route there's not a huge amount that can be done to stop it, doesn't matter if it's Vodafone, BT, Virgin Media or City Fibre.

Fibre is fibre.

True, you can't cater for the unexpected! Though I would have thought there was some redunancy in place but guessing that might be an acceptable risk. As in its cheaper for a few people to miss their flights that the airlines/insurance are forced to take on than it is for the Airport operator to pay for a second line that won't be used. 

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd imagine they'll now give some thought to diverse routing and multi-homing

(Diverse routing is where a second fibre comes into a building on a completely different path, perhaps the opposite side, multi-homing involves obtaining connections from multiple suppliers or at least separate physical networks so reducing the possibility of a complete outage, most ISPs are multi-homed)

Message 8 of 14

pgn
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

After the fact, of course...

The diversity put into the fibre incoming to my workplace over a decade ago has stood us in good stead, so far... Different vendors, different paths, although, alas limited for several years to BT for the last few miles, even if they do come into the building from opposite ends and in diverse ducts...

"Backhoe" incidents are all too frequent, and when there were 2 sites about 20miles apart where I work, one was taken out for about 36hours when a digger went through the ducts late one summer evening... Never seen so many floodlights shining down a hole as on that evening...

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn wrote:
So Gatwick OPs handed out whiteboards and dry-wipe markers when the display screens all went on the fritz...

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/whiteboards-used-as-gatwick-flight-info-screens-fail-11477470

Who said mobile data networks were the future? Oops. slight_smile

Well there must be an App that provides that information wink

It reminds of the time that I was travelling by train from Berlin, when much of Western Europe was affected by severe weather, leading to major delays on most routes. I was supposed to be travelling back to London, and it’s a long journey even when the trains are running on time, so I wasn’t optimistic about making my Eurostar connection in Brussels.

So I joined a long queue to find out what was happening, only to discover that Deutsche Bahn staff were just referring to the same rail App that I was using Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14