Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP's and Antibiotic Prescribing

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

GP's have been praised for the reduction in antibiotic prescriptions they give to their patients. Over prescribing of this drug leads to 'superbugs' (MRSA is one) which will NOT respond to any antibiotic currently available.

In theory this appears to be an excellent move.

Viral infections such as colds or flu will not respond to antibiotics

Bacterial infections do respond to antibiotics. Here is the article....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36372617

Now I am going to put my medical hat on here. This is excellent news IF the patient is presenting with a viral infection and it remains viral. However I have seen many many instances where something that appears as viral in the first instance... ..develops later on to become a bacterial infection. So if someone visits their GP and is refused antibiotics, they must have their condition monitored in case it worsens.. ie a cold (virus) turning into chronic  bronchitis ( possibly bacterial)

Interesting to note this in the article above "this success (in reduction of antibiotics prescribed) is also down to money. GPs have been paid to reduce their use of antibiotics". 

Don't get me wrong. I was a ward manager when MRSA hit my ward... it caused chaos and the ward had to be closed and treatments cancelled. So I am all for selective management of antibiotics..if patient safety is never compromised.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand people who want antibiotics for every little thing.  I try and avoid taking them whenever possible as they all seem to make me ill - I don't really like taking anything because of potential side effects!  The worst one for me was intravenous metronidazole as it affected my eyesight.  No one would believe me (apparently it was because I was distressed) and thankfully everything went back to normal but it would have to be a matter of life and death before I would agree to take it again.

Message 11 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Metronidazole is one of the worst for side effects @Anonymous and IV even more so.

I have nursed a number of patients who had to have it discontinued as it made them so ill. Sometimes the only one that will work for some infections so between a 'rock and a hard place' really. Then of course...eventually it stopped working for the MRSA infections....

Having said that, there are literally 1000's of patients who have no side effects from it at all (myself included)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the worst part was no one believed me until I spoke to my dentist months later!  I'm short sighted but when they gave me the metronidazole I became long sighted - it was horrible.  I kept saying I couldn't see properly but was told it was because I was distressed.  Er yes, that was because as well as being told I had pancreatitis I also thought my eyesight was going!

Message 13 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@Anonymous I find this all very distressing on your behalf. One of the disadvantages of folk not taking a full medical history amd being able to find a link.....Infuriating ...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Cleoriff.  I've made sure my dentist knows I can't take it and I've also spoken to my GP (who is excellent).  I'm usually pretty good at speaking up for myself but hospitals can make you feel so vulnerable.

Message 15 of 15