Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

MI5
  • 144343 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Appears that the delay was due to Lewis wanting a 4 year contract but Mercedes only willing to offer 1 year.
Read into that what you will........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

To be honest I was getting fed up of all the clickbait articles appearing everywhere with people (inc ex F1 drivers who has never achieved anything) suggesting why he hadn't signed.

As it happened they were all wrong.

No-one but no-one sits in on contract negotiations except the people involved. The way people were talking, it's as if the whole world and his wife were sitting in the room with them!!

Last thing to be printed was apparently he wanted a Verstappen veto on his contract. All rubbish as LH has only signed for a year and Verstappen is already signed with Red Bull, so there is no chance they would ever be team mates anyway. (Not that LH would be worried about who his team mate was. He has beaten all of them in the past rofl)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Appears that the delay was due to Lewis wanting a 4 year contract but Mercedes only willing to offer 1 year.

I've heard exactly the opposite. LH only wanted a year and Mercedes wanted 3 years. I don't think either of those were correct. If you read what Toto and Lewis said in the article I linked to...

"They both want the freedom to explore OTHER avenues together at the end of the season...."

Mmmmmmm

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 881

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

I've heard exactly the opposite. LH only wanted a year and Mercedes wanted 3 years. I don't think either of those were correct. If you read what Toto and Lewis said in the article I linked to...

"They both want the freedom to explore OTHER avenues together at the end of the season...."

Mmmmmmm

Retirement.....?

Message 44 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Mmmmmmm

Retirement.....?

Dunno @jonsie although I think there is a question mark as to how long Mercedes will remain in F1 as a team. They may become just an engine supplier.

I do know LH has his own E-Sports racing team. So has Rosberg and Button....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 881

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

I think perhaps he wants just one more championship to beat a certain German gentleman

Message 46 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I think perhaps he wants just one more championship to beat a certain German gentleman

You mean the cheat, who really only won 5 WDC's on merit. Ask Hill and Villeneuve rofl

Not a gentleman when you deliberately ram opponents off the track @jonsie 

You can accuse LH of many things but he isn't a cheating dirty driver.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 47 of 881

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
I didn't like to cast any slurs due to his current health predicament but yes, you're quite right in your description of his achievements
Message 48 of 881

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

....but far better to have another chalked up to LH and in the record books for all time

Message 49 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
I didn't like to cast any slurs due to his current health predicament but yes, you're quite right in your description of his achievements

I have no problem with it at all @jonsie . It's absolutely tragic what happened to him I agree.

However when people who will not accept Hamilton as the most successful driver of all time and hold Schumacher up as the GOAT, I think they are remembering him with rose tinted spectacles on.

He was always the No1 driver, his team mates were never allowed to win and I remember him storming through the paddock to punch Coulthard when he felt (wrongly) that he had cost him a race.

Disqualified from a race for his dirty tricks, so no, in terms of F1, I have no time for him at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 881