Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

END OF ANDROID?

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

ANDROID fans have been put on alert about shock claims that Google are planning on scraping the hugely popular smartphone and tablet OS.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/992004/Android-update-Google-replacing-smart...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If it does happen, it will be at least five years, and the new OS would have to be backwards compatible. Google wouldn't want everyone to stop buying phones until the new OS was released. 

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2018/07/20/google-fuchsia-os-development-release-date-report/

Oh, and there's two p's in scrapping. Even the Express headline is misspelled.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Bit of a shock for Android users. Though it won't bother me much, I will just stick to the phone I have now.

I have every faith it will last me a lifetime.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

They really are in the news lately, and the BBC had a slightly different angle, asking whether people would be happy paying for Android:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44898509

Perhaps repackaging it as a brand new OS, will give them the perfect opportunity to start selling it thinking

I blame Brexit  wink

Message 4 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I won't panic just yet. 5 years is a long time and a lot can happen between now and then. If Google do change their operating OS it better be a h3ll of a lot better than android, or what's the point.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies above ... = ... I was panicking having just about 4 weeks ago gone to Android - Xperia1L ... thank you particularly to @Bambino for putting my mind at rest Thanks!

Here a pic for you & @Glory1

Image result for new york images

Message 6 of 15

Big
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It aint never gonna happen  ,Apple will die first. If google ever does want to ditch android after all these years of developing it some other company such as samsung or sony will adopt it.

All these device manufacturers are making too much money off it and have seen nokia go from riches to rags with the symbian and windows operating systems thinking they could snub android and take a different route. Why would any company want to ditch a world leader.  👍😁

Message 7 of 15

Big
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Samsung are years ahead of the game. I feel sorry for all them sheep that are still using apple and ios just cos some idiot on the tv has one that knows jack ****** about tech. 😂😂
Message 8 of 15

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the replies above ... = ... I was panicking having just about 4 weeks ago gone to Android - Xperia1L ... thank you particularly to @Bambino for putting my mind at rest Thanks!

Here a pic for you & @Glory1

Image result for new york images

Thanks for the pic @Anonymous it looks nice here but I still prefer London 🤩

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's one of my favourite places in London @Glory1

Regents Park ... normally the rose garden would be in full bloom about now, but don't know with the hot spell of weather we're under sun rose

Image result for regents park images

Message 10 of 15