Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving while using a mobile phone!

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It saddens me to hear that a thousand people were caught using their phones while driving in a two week period in Wales.

The attitude seems to be "Don't you do it, but it's ok if I do".

Your call or text just isn't that important and it will wait until you can deal with it safely:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20309819

One suggestion I've heard is that mobile phone companies be required to suspend your phone account if you are convicted of this.

What do you think?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Seems the Sottish police want bus driver's and lorry driver's employers to take further action against employees endangering other road users, passengers and pedestrians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19569679

Quite right too. As for the networks suspending accounts, there would have to be a cross network agreement but I can see many ways round a suspended account. Although reclaiming the mobile number would certainly help to stop these idiots.

Message 2 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
That's a staggering number perskie.

I don't even like using hands-free.

I'm not sure of a permanent suspension would be a good idea, perhaps a temporary one. Then again, using a phone can have either no effect, or cause a major accident so there's the argument whether to be reactive or preventative in terms of punishment
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

If there's one thing that really gets my goat is idiots using mobile phones while driving!! Only this afternoon i had an idiot at traffic lights so intent on using his mobile he did'nt even notice the lights had turned to green, then  when i look in my rear veiw mirror there's another one behind me using their mobile!

Personally i wish they would make it 6 points on your license for the first offence then if caught a second time automatic 12 month driving ban! If people lose their job tough!

Message 4 of 26

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Something needs to be done because the present law and penalties have no affect on these morons. You find lorry drivers and taxis amongst the worst offenders. Many times I have seen these people driving juggernauts at 60+ mph in the centre lane of the motorway swaying left and right.

Message 5 of 26

MI5
  • 144772 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
How am I supposed to hold my mobile in one hand when I have a can of lager in the other !!!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 26

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 144772 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions
slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 26

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

On a slight side note, there's a particular 4 way junction near me where you can guarantee you will see someone on their phone turning. Yet the only place you see the Drive Alive vans are on  a straight road a mile away in the opposite direction. Point is, the police authorities are more concerned with speeding (easy money) than catching a far more dangerous act just by moving the van a few metres and redefining the purpose of "Drive Alive".

As for suspending an account, it won't work as PAYG is too common. Getting the court to force the network operators to terminate a contract holder immediately which invokes the "pay up the remaining months now" clause and obviously a flag on the credit record which all future credit checks would reveal. After all, if you're risky about driving and phoning then aren't you a risk to be loaned money? A bit drastic but that would be the consequence of ignorance. 

Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a hand free, but sometimes when it is not working, I pull over and park and make a quick call if I have to.

However, I did once behave like a complete **bleep**. I had just received a call as I was about to park my car in a narrow street in London. As I was holding the phone in one hand, I wasn't able to reverse into the space correctly and had to come back out and try again.

This Taxi driver behind me was not too impressed and decided to honk his horn. So with phone in hand, I round down the window and shouted

"Ssshh, can't you see I am on the phone"

This was back in 1997 and even though I thought it was funny, I did know that I behaved like a plonker, so never did that again.

Message 10 of 26