Did you mean: 

Cricket World Cup 🏏

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

The 2019 Cricket World Cup is kicking off tomorrow! Is anyone planning on following it?

Cricket isn't really big in France, so until I moved over here I had barely heard or seen much of it. The origin of this sport are uncertain, but some of the earliest mentions of it date back to the 16th century in South-East England. This bat-and-ball sport is played on a large field between two teams of 11 players. The first World Cup was organised in England in June 1975, and Australia hold the current title - their 5th!

Photo of cricket player

Are you interested in Cricket?

Do/did you play cricket, or are looking forward to this year's World Cup?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT 

At risk of being called an idiot, I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

In my opinion, cricket is on a par with golf. Boring.....Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

There's something for everyone @Cleoriff, far from me to judge joy

Good to know where you stand on golf at the same time - out of curiosity, do you feel like that about all bat and ball games? I'm thinking of baseball for example

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Just to add...my grandson played cricket, football, tennis, squash, pool and snooker.

As we took him to all of his sport commitments we enjoyed them all. Except cricket.

(Even though he played for the county under 12's when he was 9) .....still boring rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

There's something for everyone @Cleoriff, far from me to judge joy

Good to know where you stand on golf at the same time - out of curiosity, do you feel like that about all bat and ball games? I'm thinking of baseball for example

No I like Baseball, rounders, tennis etc. It's just cricket (and golf)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Yes, very much looking forward to it starting.
Lads are playing tonight too so it's going to be a busy week for cricket slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

Fair enough, thanks for letting me know though, I'll try and remember cricket and golf are a big no for you smile

Was it somehow mandatory for your grandson to play cricket then? He was playing so many sports already, why stick with one he wasn't enjoying?

@MI5 

Nice! Are you looking forward to any of the games in particular?

signature

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I always enjoy watching The Windies play.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 24897 Posts
  • 797 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Never was a fan of cricket @EmilieT and to be honest find it, like golf, boring.

That said, when I was at school, the games teacher made us play softball - a version of baseball - which, although I was never good at sports I did enjoy and because of that did follow some baseball for a while. But that is all in the past, now I`d rather watch football.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

@Cleoriff 

Fair enough, thanks for letting me know though, I'll try and remember cricket and golf are a big no for you smile

Was it somehow mandatory for your grandson to play cricket then? He was playing so many sports already, why stick with one he wasn't enjoying?

@EmilieT  No you misunderstood. My grandson loved cricket and every sport he played. It's just that my husband and I took him to all of his sports. Neither of us liked the cricket part..(we stuck it out as Ben loved it) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19