Did you mean: 

Coventry wins City of Culture 2021

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Breaking news ....

Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021. (My home city) Bouncy

The title is awarded every four years and it means the city will host a year-long celebration of arts and performance.

It will hope to emulate the success of Hull, which is UK City of Culture this year. The title is estimated to have boosted Hull's economy by £60m.

The other places in the running for the title were Swansea, Paisley, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Godiva Awakes in Coventry Cathedral ruins

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis. You better start taking some before and after photos.

@MI5Yes I have seen the student accommodation .....a sign of a flourishing, popular, highly rated University...

As I say , the judges chose it. I am very proud of that...Lets hope it lives up to expectations and makes it better for the residents of the City...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Although not a city (they were on the Queen's list for a few years) Bolton has suffered in exactly the same way as Coventry. It wasn't bombed much but the town centre now looks like it has. 

Since the University and Campus were built, student accommodation is the priority. This was once a brilliant thriving place to shop but the Labour councillors have ruined it over the years. It truly is now a ghost town. 

Message 12 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Oh Warwick uni is lovely and yes, accommodation is well considered.....
Coventry city university however..
Nearly every tall building is now got awful paint jobs, and converted to student digs, and more and more high rises get put up constantly, for more accomodation.
Whilst the retail and "town" feeling rots away, the ever growing student union buildings dwarf our spires.
Message 13 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Exactly @viridis.
Very little to be proud of currently.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Strange how the football team has declined at the pro-rata ratio as the city. 

Message 15 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Strange how the football team has declined at the pro-rata ratio as the city. 

And the team we play in the next round of the FA cup is Stoke...who were also up for the City of Culture award...and lost to us...Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Lol hopefully 2 for 2 then.

Btw, I am obviously very glad we won the culture bid, but I just fear the council we have will exploit the people of this city more.
Message 17 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Twitter feed....( a lot from the Coventry campus)

https://twitter.com/covcampus?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well as a proud 'Cov Kid' who grew up in a once flourishing city, the centre of the car industry, first motorbikes made in Coventry and home of Frank Whittle (jet engines) also the key centre of other manufacturing companies.... I hope the 4 years will mark a profound change for it's residents. If folk get bored they can always go and look at the Coventry Cathedral.....or clear off to Stratford....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 39