Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer parts:)

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Right so I'm building a f@h rig to help support some of the good things coming from this project:)

I need suggestions for cheap computer supplies I have a fairly set list but I'm open to shopping around:)

hey if I save enough money I could run two machines:(

Ill happily share specs if people are interested but I'd imagine it would bore most haha

So suggest some good quality sites for me:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Linux:) I found a lovely little universal driver that always keeps the green drives at idle(not as efficient but still lower powered) hopefully prevent anything going wrong:/

That's a rather interesting concept so your essentially using the faster drives as a buffer before the data is written to a slower (presumably) more stable drive? Best of both worlds slight_smile

I won't be doing a huge amount of data storage I currently have around 25gb of spreadsheets consisting of customer data/ pat testing stuff. But that's all backed up separately on a system not connected to the Internet. Cisco firewall or not I can't afford for the data to get into someone else's hands.

I probably will end up dual booting in the future, for now its just aiming at a number cruncher slight_smile once it's too old for number crunching it will probally be classed as a adequate gaming computer.(**bleep** moores law haha)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 21 of 44

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

My ZFS array is the paranoia safety aspect - the smaller one is set for speed so no big loss if something happens. Currently running with 12x 1TB on the main array but with the ZFS level I used, the actual capacity is half of that and can lose something like 3 drives without losing data. Two drives are on active standby too. Paranoid, me? Lets just say I've had a very close encounter with losing close to 5TB. Twice. Smiley Embarassed

Personally I run linux on a Virtual Machine under Solaris due to ZFS not working to the same level. Pity some of the software only runs on Linux so its a compromise. Its fun making it all work though even with windows. 

Message 22 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Wow, what sort of data are you storing? (If your allowed to tell me)

I really respect the amount of back up solutions you have going there:) hope for the best plan for the worst:)

I was considering building a blade useing mainly GPUs but figured they be next to useless 2 years down the line. So I'm going with a dual use type of setup 2* i7 3930k and maybe 4 7970 should have a considerable amount of grunt to them for a year or two then will be a more than acceptable gaming machine:)

Much more price realistic than running a couple of zeons haha.
Message 23 of 44

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You can always get a good curry in bradford liquid if you decide to visit ccl slight_smile

If you're not too fussed about the surroundings try the Karachi in Neal Street for a really authentic curry.

It's near the skating rink.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 24 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Should see where I live haha I'm not fussed about the surroundings:)

I've got some travelling to plan:)
Message 25 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's still going strong karachi even after all these years perksie slight_smile
Message 26 of 44

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
Wow, what sort of data are you storing? (If your allowed to tell me)

I really respect the amount of back up solutions you have going there:) hope for the best plan for the worst:)

I was considering building a blade useing mainly GPUs but figured they be next to useless 2 years down the line. So I'm going with a dual use type of setup 2* i7 3930k and maybe 4 7970 should have a considerable amount of grunt to them for a year or two then will be a more than acceptable gaming machine:)

Much more price realistic than running a couple of zeons haha.

Nothing complex since its just all my DVD's saved to ISO and my CD collection so far. Next up is video and photos. One day, it will be timeshifting TV followed by that convert vinyl-to-disk project that's currently at year 12 of starting!

I take the view that once I have the originals archived onto disk as-is, then I can choose any format I want to rip it to. Yep, its big but another project I have going is automating the conversion process. Which I might add was highly successful in ripping over 540 DVD's with 3 to sort out due to an actual DVD error. 

It's at that point you realise that a dual core is a bit slow but the underlying aim was a cool, quiet system hence I used a mobile cpu as a compromise. Started experimenting with parallel processing across multiple computers before realising that 

a) I don't have the space

b) what on earth do I need more computers for!

I would have gone for xeons myself but the price is a bit prohibative till you start looking at ex-corporate servers over 3 years old. Bargain time, relatively speaking! On the downside, space heat and noise are a bit of an issue so tempting as they are, it had to be a no. I'm one for re-using slightly older tech though.

Message 27 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That's brilliant was it custom built automation? Do you have pictures?

Agreed if I can find good bargains on old powerful tech I'm happy to use it:) I'm quite the avid overclocker.

Thankfully by using watercooling and a fan controller I have little to no noise at all.

Always need more computers:)
Message 28 of 44

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I don't do pretty displays, just pretty shell scripts* with little output to screen Smiley LOL 

I've always wanted to do watercooling but cost wise, its not effective for me as I don't use powerful components. 

* in my own eyes

Message 29 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ooo when I read automation I had images of a Rube Goldberg style machine popping the disks in haha.

You can definatly do watercooling on the cheap:) my first design was based heavily on aqarium gear haha.

The fact you can write scripts puts you light years ahead of me:)
Message 30 of 44