Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Last Saturday I adopted a cat because

• I saw a post from Cat Friends of Hyndburn
  • I was really touched by his sorry story
  • I was wanting a cat and he wanted his own home
  • I've decided that I'm unlikely to go back to Thailand so wouldn't have to leave him without a home again

This is the original story I came across :

😻 ADOPTION IN PROGRESS 😻

🧡 Chester - the forgotten cat 🧡

Wouldn’t you think that after being on the streets for so long, - neglected and with every day a struggle to survive - Chester would have completely lost faith in humans?

Not so. It’s amazing how stoic, resilient and forgiving our beautiful furry friends are. Here is Chester after a week in foster care. He’s possibly the most affectionate, loving and gentle cat we’ve ever had the privilege of caring for.

On Thursday, Chester had all his fur taken off at the vets, apart from his face and legs (the only bits of him not matted). He had his first vaccination, had his gungey ears cleaned out and was microchipped to Cat Friends of Hyndburn. Last week he was also flea and worm treated. The full works 😻

We did buy him a jumper to keep his skinny little body warm but, in true independent cat style, he managed to wriggle his booty out of it on the first night 😻

Chester was probably resigned to living the life of a street cat but thanks to every one of you who donated to his care, we were able to help out the rescue that found him by taking him in and funding his treatment.

We will let you into a secret. Just like all the other rescues who were probably approached to take Chester in, Cat Friends didn’t have any spare funds either. We simply knew that our loyal, caring Cat Friends would come to the rescue and, if not, we would work that bit harder to make sure we could rescue him ♥️♥️

Chester would like to thank you all from the very bottom of his furry ginger boots for giving him the chance of a new life, where he will be loved and treasured for the rest of his days ♥️♥️

Oh, did we forget to mention? Chester’s homecheck has been passed today ♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️

I got in touch with them and had  to fill in an initial application form and a few days later a home visit was arranged to check if it was suitabe for a cat and to see if I was a responsible person to look after him.

So, although I expected maybe a couple of weeks before I got him, if indeed I was to get him, they brought him to my home a few days later. They had brought him with his own little coat to keep him warm because his fur had been shaved off. That is apart from his head, his boots and his tail. Honestly, he looks like a minature poodle!joycat
This is the jacket he has:
Image may contain: cat

He eats like a horse and won't leave my lap when I'm in watching TV, which makes eating, drinking and typing a little difficult to say the least!
Hopefully it won't be too long until his fur grows back but in the meantime I won't be letting him out so as to stop all the other cats laughing at him rofl

Some photos I took today:

Chester 18.01.20206.jpg
Chester 18.01.20201.jpg
Chester 18.01.20208.jpg

As he grows I will update on his progress smiling

Message 1 of 139
138 REPLIES 138

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Fingers crossed for him then. The drops should clear out the gunge and stop infection I expect.

Maybe while he is under anaesthetic they could give those ears a good clearout as well? Bless heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 71 of 139

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

My son is going away in April for 5 days and it will cost him £250 to put the dog in kennels so I said that if Chester is ok with dogs I would look after him.

So at teatime he brought the dog round (he also has 3 cats so the dog is fine around them)

Chester was growling as soon as they came in and when the dog came anywhere near him, Chester actually snarled and hissed! So, kennels it is disappointed

Message 72 of 139

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

My son is going away in April for 5 days and it will cost him £250 to put the dog in kennels so I said that if Chester is ok with dogs I would look after him.

So at teatime he brought the dog round (he also has 3 cats so the dog is fine around them)

Chester was growling as soon as they came in and when the dog came anywhere near him, Chester actually snarled and hissed! So, kennels it is disappointed

Inevitable I think. The life Chester had previously, he probably spent years on the street running away from dogs.

Though in another way Steve, it's probably a good thing whilst Chester is settling in with you. He wants no competition for your affection heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 73 of 139

Anonymous
Not applicable
For £100 I’ll look after them!
Message 74 of 139

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

My son does it for nothing @Anonymous  rofl

I say nothing. He has a freezer full of food, access to Sky TV  and Xbox. I buy him a couple of bottles of wine and he has the run of a house which is much better than the flat he lives in. It's also closer to his work.... So it evens itself out really.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 75 of 139

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look lady.. I’ll do anything for anyone.. but when it involves picking up poo & cleaning dog hair for a week or two.. I’m gonna charge!

And not to mention the stress of finding random hairs for the next 50 years!
Message 76 of 139

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Ah but with two cats @Anonymous ..you don't pick up poo. You bag up the litter liner  and sling it in the bin.

Then put a nice clean one in the tray and fill with clean litter.

Hairs? Yes my husband moans about hair on his black clothes, but we do have 3-4 lint rollers in the house....as well as a very powerful dyson vac. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 77 of 139

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son is going away late April until early May

Their black / white cat Juno is booked into a Cat Hotel 

Some little old lady is feeding the cats in their neighbourhood **** food

So Juno is leaving his quality food alone

He is getting fat as the inferior food has a high sugar content

A cat gets through the micro chip operated cat flap and steals all Juno's quality food

My son has set up a movement sensored camera to see which cat it is 

Message 78 of 139

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’d set up a shotgun!
Message 79 of 139

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Both of ours have claimed the neighborhood. Both have been inside houses or cars (or both) near us. Surprised neither have disappeared for a joy ride!
One of them i think shares food with a neighbors cat. She lives outside after a disagreement with one of their dogs. He is partially blind due to an accident and got scared by some fireworks and reacted with her sneaking up on him. So she hasn't been in since.
Water pistols work as most cats don't like being wet. Bit less permanent than a shot gun!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 80 of 139