Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit: No-deal opponents defeat government

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Tory rebels and opposition MPs have defeated the government in the first stage of their attempt to pass a law designed to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

The Commons voted 328 to 301 to take control of the agenda, meaning they can bring forward a bill seeking to delay the UK's exit date.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49573555

Boris Johnson responded by saying he would bring forward a motion for a general election.

And so the saga continues clown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I really think you underestimate the youth of today. They aren't all into x-boxes or face-timing. They do care, about the eco-system, about the EU and how it will affect their futures and they do want a voice. We are talking now about the 18-21 age group who weren't eligible to vote in the referendum.

I'm not even mentioning the alleged vote-rigging via social media or the alleged meddling of our Russian friends, the bare-faced lies and false promises by certain prominent politicians, one of which is the buffoon steering this country full speed ahead into a storm.

As for the old folk dieing? We can't afford to live!

Message 21 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Actually I have a grandson aged 20. A very bright intelligent lad studying economics at University.

This year he has an internship at Renault before going back to University for his final year.

He wasn't eligible to vote initially and his opinion now is that people voted 3 years ago without possession of the full facts.

He also thinks that the vote to leave should never have been based on a measly 2-3% of the vote.

His opinion is, that if a referendum was held now, he would vote to remain.

I'm only pointing this out to show that some of the younger generation who are interested and have watched everything since 2016, do have an opinion and would use a vote. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

<snip>

Those people who have been campaigning for a “people’s vote”, are finally getting one. It’s just that they’re calling it an election instead  wink

I’ve never liked all the speculation about how different age groups may have voted in the first referendum, because no-one really knows. There was only one question on that ballot paper, and there was no mention of age.  

Message 23 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

<snip>

Those people who have been campaigning for a “people’s vote”, are finally getting one. It’s just that they’re calling it an election instead  wink

I’ve never liked all the speculation about how different age groups may have voted in the first referendum, because no-one really knows. There was only one question on that ballot paper, and there was no mention of age.  

@AnonymousThere was no mention of age on the ballot paper as you had to be 18. I was discussing my grandson's view of it now, and he wasn't eligible to vote in 2016.

As for a general election, does that matter at all with regard to leaving the EU or not?

No it doesn't really, as whoever gets in would have to revoke Article 50 and opt for a 2nd referendum. I can't  see that happening at all.

I have numerous friends who say categorically that their vote would change if they had the chance to vote again.

There again, that might be because they are sick of the whole debacle and wonder if it was worth all this uncertainty. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

<snip>

As for a general election, does that matter at all with regard to leaving the EU or not?

No it doesn't really, as whoever gets in would have to revoke Article 50 and opt for a 2nd referendum. I can't  see that happening at all.

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark, but it matters because an election gives political parties another opportunity to clearly explain the implications of Brexit, along with all the nuances that a binary choice offered by a referendum fails to address.

We shouldn't really need a second referendum, because people will have the chance to vote for parties who are either commited to leaving the EU, or want to remain. In Labour's case, Comrade Corbyn will have to get off the fence, and finally nail his colours to the mast wink

Message 25 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

<snip>

It was a tongue-in-cheek remark, but it matters because an election gives political parties another opportunity to clearly explain the implications of Brexit, along with all the nuances that a binary choice offered by a referendum fails to address.

We shouldn't really need a second referendum, because people will have the chance to vote for parties who are either commited to leaving the EU, or want to remain. In Labour's case, Comrade Corbyn will have to get off the fence, and finally nail his colours to the mast wink

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

<snip>

We shouldn't really need a second referendum, because people will have the chance to vote for parties who are either commited to leaving the EU, or want to remain. In Labour's case, Comrade Corbyn will have to get off the fence, and finally nail his colours to the mast

Never a truer word spoken @Anonymous Another politician with unlikely 'affiliations', who changes his mind by the day. The only problem with that is, I would personally never vote Labour again, whilst JC was head of the patrty. So. Catch 22!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

rofl

Look at that. I felt so strongly, I posted it twice. Duh me and this PC!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 69

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It was thought that Tories in the Lords would try and talk out the anti- "no deal" Bill, but at 1.30am the government dropped its opposition to the Bill, which will pass through the Lords by 5pm today and then pass with amendments to the Commons for a final vote on Monday, and if passed will get Royal Assent.

https://news.sky.com/story/lords-clear-way-for-anti-no-deal-brexit-bill-after-government-climbdown-1...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

In his short time in office Boris has failed three times....

• He was first defeated on Wednesday when the opposition, joined by a group of 21 Conservative rebels, seized control of parliamentary business
  • He then failed to stop a bill blocking no-deal Brexit from going through
  • And finally, he lost a vote on whether to hold an early election.

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/boris-johnson-brexit-wednesday-dle-gbr-intl/index.html

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 69

Anonymous
Not applicable

He could still get that early election, as explained in this article. This is the relevant text:

"No 10 could introduce a simple vote where they would only need a majority of one, or in a more extreme circumstance, hold a vote of no-confidence in itself, that Labour might find hard to stand against."

I had to smile at this tweet by Richard Osman:

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1168998249572773888

Message 30 of 69